1300 pro AGP SCREW UP

Urbanink

OSNN Newbie
Hey....Ok i installed the hardware no problem,booted up and XP detected new hardware,i went to install the drivers from the catalyst cd...started transfering them over...lodding bar went half way then poof, my monitor shut off.I thought maybe the drivers where being switched over so i left it on for 10-15 mins...still nothing so i rebooted,again nothing but a black screen with my monitor green light flashing.I can hear everything turn over inside the case,everything sounds fine........WTF did i do? I called ATI support but they dunno wtf is going on.I took out the old graphic drivers before installing the new ones....I am at a total loss.

I am thinking about taking out my HD,putting it into my friends rig as a slave and loading the drivers on to it then putting it back into my case....Anyone have any other ideas??

i have a new asus MB,512 ddr proper power supply and all that.....OS-XP

Thanks for any help.

Ok, list everything you have in your system and also let us know if there is ANYTHING on your screen at all when you boot, i.e. bios showing and what not.

I get NOTHING when i boot up,just a dead screen with my monitor light blinking green (like the cpu was powered off)

512 ddr
1x20 gig HD
1x80 gig HD
XP os
sound blaster card
ATI 1300 pro AGP
Asus MB (cant remember the model# atm,at work)

As i said,everything boots up but nothing on the screen,nothing,tried hiting f8 but i see NOTHING.Cant get into bios or safe mode.....very frustrating.I have a really good local PC repair place with very fair prices (prolly run me 50$ to get it fixed) but id like to do this myself,and i dont get paid till friday so i have a few days to see if i can repair it.

FWIW, I have had this happen twice in the past on old machines. Once, it was a bad card (everything was recognized but wouldn't install, just as you said)...and I also had an AGP port go bad on me when installing a new card. What worries me is you cannot even see the video card info at startup. Do you have another card that you can install temporarily?

Last edited:
i dont have another card,im gonna try that HD idea and if that doesnt work im going to take it into my local shop.

Il post a reply when i have this thing sorted.

Thanks guys.

I get NOTHING when i boot up,just a dead screen with my monitor light blinking green (like the cpu was powered off)

512 ddr
1x20 gig HD
1x80 gig HD
XP os
sound blaster card
ATI 1300 pro AGP
Asus MB (cant remember the model# atm,at work)

As i said,everything boots up but nothing on the screen,nothing,tried hiting f8 but i see NOTHING.Cant get into bios or safe mode.....very frustrating.I have a really good local PC repair place with very fair prices (prolly run me 50$ to get it fixed) but id like to do this myself,and i dont get paid till friday so i have a few days to see if i can repair it.

I'll do some more research when I get home, have to make a run to the hosptial for a friend who underwent surgery for cancer soooo could be a while :)

Be patient, we will try and help you out.

Shut it all down, pull the Vid card out and re seat it in the AGP slot. Reconnect the Monitor to the card and reboot. Make should everything is tight, nice solid connections. Check basic stuff before getting all fancy shmancy. It could be as simple as a loose connection or a loose Vid card.

You could have bumped something in your computer when you installed the card, double check every card and connection.

Try your monitor on another computer and make sure that it's still working.

What they said above. A trip into the shop is a waste of money unless the machine is under warantee.

Also if the card has 2 video connector try the second one and see if that works. Sometimes the one connector is not turned on until you do some special setup after installing drivers.

It is most likely either a bad card (is it new or used?) or the card plug or monitor cable is just not in the socket all the way.

Check that the card pins are seated all the way into the video card socket.
The card can hang up at either end.
-At the rear of the card the little latching mechanism on the MB might not have engaged.
-At the end near the case soemtimes the silver panel is misaligned and will not slide all the way down into the hole between the MB and the case. The bottom of the bracket can be bent slightly to resolve this.

Next make sure the plug from the monitor seats all the way into the video card jack. If the card is tilted in the slot the plug may not seat all the way.

Now boot and listen for beeps when the computer starts. There should be 1 or 2 single short beeps. If you hear a string of beeps or long beeps that is a failure report code. Write it down (exactly, this may take several tries) and post back here along with the model number of your MB and bios type (award, phoeinix, etc). Or you can google beep codes for your brand MB yourself.

If the card is truly bad there will usually be a beep code.

Ok so i got home at like 3 am after work last night and just went nuts on it,i tried a whole bunch of stuff and i got it working.WOOT.I disconnected both my cd drives and tried booting with no power connection into the card...nothing,then with the 4 pin connection in and it booted,got into the startup and installed the drivers fully,then updated them from ATI website....worked,right? well no,i woke up this morning and now it wont boot again.......Really odd.

Im gonna screw around with it more tonight.I got it working for awhile (even played a lil WOW) so the card works.But i did notice BEFORE i got the update from ATI the screen was flickering a bit and it locked up while playing WOW,screen went all nuts with yellow and green static,but it didnt freeze,i just ALT+Tab and closed the game.....Odd.

Also,after i dc the cd drives and it was working i plugged one back in (to install the ati cd) and it all worked together.I dont know why dc the drives helped, i have a 400 w pwr supply.

anywho,il post results tmrw.

Thanks for all ur help.

O.K. one final thought. You said that you had the power connection not plugged into the video card, is this correct? If so then basically this video card has a 4 pin molex power connector at the back end of the card. If this is correct then you won't get anything if you have no power to the card. All of the modern AGP video cards need to have external power plugged into them to function. The AGP bus can not supply enough power for them to function. Soooooo, when you disconnected your CD drives you could have possibly freed up some power needed for this card to function properly. But also since you had the power removed from the video card originally that could have caused the problems you are having. Plus with only a 400 watt power supply, when you have the other drives connected and you were running your game it could have been on the edge as to using all available wattage from your power supply. Especially if you have a few case fans the CPU fan and any LED lights in the computer case, if any. But all these things combined could be limiting how much power your video card receives.

Example:
I have an ASUS A8v Deluxe MB with an AMD Atlon 64 3?00+ DVD, CD burner, Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 4 case fans, etc... Anyway I have a VGA GeForce 6800 Ultra video card and it's an AGP. My power supply was an Antec 430 watt true power and I had it all working but I tried to play HL2 and it would be weird at times. Tried to play Lost Coast and I got all kinds of weirdness on the screen to where it locked up everything. Well long story short, pulled the power supply got a Cooler Master 600 watt PSU from a friend for dirt cheap and it now plays anything I throw at it. So maybe your PSU isn't up to the task, maybe?

Good Luck. :)

Last edited:
That is a good point.I have 2 fans going + the one built into the card (all run no problem) Hmmm i may pick up a new power supply friday.600 should be ok? I have never installed one, is it complex?

Thanks again.

and yes your right about the 4 pin connection.

EDIT : Just called my local shop, i can grab a dual frame 500 watt for 39.99 and they can install for 15$...I think il go with that.

Last edited:
Good luck. Hope this will resolve your problem, keep us informed. One thing, since you are having the repair shop install the PSU. Make sure they connect power to the video card, let them know that it has to have a power connection from the PSU attached to it. They may look at you funny as they will be "oh we know this..." but in their haste to get the job out they could forget. :)

yeh 4 sho.

Thanks, will probably have it all fixed for monday,will post back then.

A 400W PSU should be fine with just a 1300 PRO video card. The 6800 is a power hog and needs bigger supplies.

I suspect the video card more than the power supply.

You can install a PSU yourself in about 5 minutes and save the $15. 4 screws , the MB connector (make sure to attach the seperate 4 pin MB plug if required) and a plug to each drive and the video card.

Ok so i got home at like 3 am after work last night and just went nuts on it,i tried a whole bunch of stuff and i got it working.WOOT.I disconnected both my cd drives and tried booting with no power connection into the card...nothing,then with the 4 pin connection in and it booted,got into the startup and installed the drivers fully,then updated them from ATI website....worked,right? well no,i woke up this morning and now it wont boot again.......Really odd.

Im gonna screw around with it more tonight.I got it working for awhile (even played a lil WOW) so the card works.But i did notice BEFORE i got the update from ATI the screen was flickering a bit and it locked up while playing WOW,screen went all nuts with yellow and green static,but it didnt freeze,i just ALT+Tab and closed the game.....Odd.

Also,after i dc the cd drives and it was working i plugged one back in (to install the ati cd) and it all worked together.I dont know why dc the drives helped, i have a 400 w pwr supply.

anywho,il post results tmrw.

Thanks for all ur help.

That sounds like a bad video card to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back