12 megabits per second for $21 a month

BonyTony

OSNN Senior Addict
Read the article HERE ...i don`t have time to chat ...i`m packing my bags and moving:)
Softbank has spent close to $2 billion building out a gigabit Ethernet network and leasing copper wire from Japanese telecom giant Nippon Telegraph and Telephone. The result is a service, offered under the Yahoo! BB brand, that provides Internet access to Japanese homes at 12 megabits per second - eight times faster than what Americans are used to - for about $21 a month. Every day, as many as 7,000 new subscribers fire up their plug-and-play DSL modems, making Yahoo! BB the world's fastest-growing broadband service.

Nice, but it's nothing revolutionary, sweden has 26mbit for around £40 ;)

Good price. That costs about $30-40 here. There's a new 26 Mbit VDSL service for about $50 now. Not too many can have it though.

LOL SPeedY_B, I must have been converting the currency rates when you posted. :)

ge I guess I have a 1.5 mbit connection and I pay twice as much..... damn comcast rippin me off!

*salivating* - Just trying to comprehend 26Mbits *slurp*
Here in the UK 1Mb cable connection costs £35 p/month.
That's the most home-broadband offers, although talks are underway regarding the unveiling of a massive *cough* 2Mb service (time to remortgage the house methinks. ;))
Some can't even get that and are stuck on dial-up :eek:
If only the UK Telecom industry would wake up, and realise there is money to be made from using the internet not just charging for it's usage. Well done Japan, Sweden, and Portugal (I believe their governmant paid for the country to be connected to broadband around 10-12Mbit - although don't quote me, I just remember reading something about it somewhere.)
How can the UK compete globally, when it's capabilities are throttled by a few private companies.
Won't be long before the UK is a digital 3rd world lol

*pant* rant over :D

If you've got the money 8mb lines are available in the UK, leased lines that are even faster are also available but they can cost into the thousands per month.

But yeah, the UK is so technologically retarded that it hurts. I pay about £23.50 for 512k meaning that 26mb would be a theoretical £1222.00 per month :D :D

$1222.00 p/m a snip! lol
Where do I sign-up.
You said it though SPeedY, faster lines are available at a premium.
But realistically, despite this how many home-users do you see with over 1Mb in the UK? Theoretically the limit's higher but it's unfeasible expense makes it a not such a practical reality for Joe Public.
Maybe we should post a link to this thread to ntl, BT, Blue Yonder etc and get everyone to heat it up :rolleyes: That way we can perhaps embaress the *£!!*$'s into getting off their fat-cat ringers and start giving us choice and value for money.........still they'd probably see your post above SPeedY and decide that £1222.00 p/m was a fair price* (*provided you're in an urban digitally capable excxhange catchment area ;))
You not in a cable area SPeedY? Much as ntl get on my nerves, pound for pound it's cheaper than DSL)

Wouldn't use NTL if you payed me too, they've got more downtime than clintons fly zip :p I'd use blue yonder tho, but no, I'm not in a cable area (can't even get telewest or NTL phone lines here :eek: ) so it's either DSL or dial-up for me.

You're right about no-one having more than 1mb (at home) because of the price, The only people I know of with 1mb are sharing the connection with a few people and therefore sharing the cost too.
It's really annoying how far behind we are from other countries, I can understand the differences from here to the U.S. or even Japan, but it's not like sweden is a million miles away.

who is your isp Speedy ?

I got a 512 package from Nildram
& it connects @ 1Mbps
for £22 a month

:D

*cough* 8mb line here *cough*

doesn't cost me a penny......all you tax payers pay for it for me.....so thanxs :cool:

Henyman, shut up, it's not payed for by tax payers, and you're a 56k AOL user at home, so again shut up :D :p

2z, went with griffin in the end, 50p more per month, but for that 50p I get unlimited e-mail adresses, 100mb webspace, 5 (or up to 8) IP addresses, my IP is static, and I only have a 1 month contract unlike nildrams 12. :)
Oh, and the connected speed means nothing, I'm connected at 100mb :D what download speeds you getting? I'm getting 55k average here with spikes of 75 or more.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Wouldn't use NTL if you payed me too, they've got more downtime than clintons fly zip :p

ROFL i know what you mean m8 :D
ntl really do suck, but i'm not a Blue Yonder area nor is my phone exchange capable of DSL yet. BT actually want people to canvass on their behalf..get enough users..then they'll consider the upgrade...then reduced cost service??? nope. IMHO BT are tighter than aNun's chuff!.
ntl recently(ish) made a silent restriction on usage too, capping all broadbamnd services at 1Mb daily. That's atheoretical uptime of 2 and a half hors per 24 hour spell if you got 1Mb line and download constantly. "Gimps" the lot of 'em I say :p ;) :D :D

To Henyman..if you're using 56k AOL I pity you, but then you probably agree with everything SPeedY and I have said...;)

Yeah, BT are evil, They really are holding us back, I can understand that enabling all the exchanges would be an initial cost, but so was building all of those exchanges in the first place.. but damn, it's payed off for them hasn't it?

I heard about the NTL cap, it was actually a "recommended" limit, so if you output say 1.5gb for two days, then only 700mb for the rest of the week, they aren't bothered, but if you go over the 1gb for every day for a week or so, then you will receive a warning. But not so long ago the NTL head said that they actually aren't enforcing the cap at all. So it's nothing to worry about really.

Oh, and the connected speed means nothing, I'm connected at 100mb :D what download speeds you getting? I'm getting 55k average here with spikes of 75 or more.

didnt know that ~ you got a really good deal there
my d/l speeds R the same as yours

:eek:

:D
What sort of modem did you get?
I got a D-Link DSL-300G+ Ethernet modem, doing a great job ;)

I got a pci mri as recommend by the adsl guide
its being really ghay atm
causing loads of problems
tried it in 3 pci slots ~ reinstalled the drivers I dont know how many times
in my athlonXP machine I keep losing my connection
in my P4 no one can join my server on impossible creatures
when I turn on the pc in the morning it detects new hardware & wont reinstall till I uninstall it **weird**
not too mention BSOD's
think I need a different modem
looking at getting a USB robotics modem for £60 ouch
oh yeah the microfilter dont work that well either
the line noise is a joke
I had a better time with AOL

:(

Blimey!! Sounds like you aint having much luck :\
btw usb modems are about £25, not 60 :)

I just got the ethernet because the modem itself does all the work instead of windows doing anything at all.
I plugged it in, plugged the network cable into my nic, opened up the web front end put in my user/pass and voilla, the modem does everything, it even stays connected when you shut down the computer ;)

I didnt want a PCI modem because they all seemed to have conexant chips which use your CPU aswell as PCI resources, and I didn't want a USB modem because in my experience Windows XP just plain outright hates anything usb.

Yeah, BT are evil, They really are holding us back, I can understand that enabling all the exchanges would be an initial cost, but so was building all of those exchanges in the first place.. but damn, it's payed off for them hasn't it?

Plus they hold 85% of the local loop so most people on dial-up is still benefitting them. (or did till Offtel got onto it)
They got us both ways really, so I s'pose they're in no hurry.

Same policy with the Information-Superhighway as with our UK highways eh? They'll expand only when they have to, but we'll still foot the bill. I wonder if it would be the same had they never been privatised? :confused:

I didn't want a USB modem because in my experience Windows XP just plain outright hates anything usb.

You're right there m8. If I plug in my HP Deskjet 895cxi my mouse stops responding requiring me to disconnect it then reconnect it.
Works fine with same config on my Win98SE laptop though lol

Good old MS ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back