106° heat index today

Not to go outside? LOL. When I lived in the Philippines, that kind of heat was normal.

It's consistently been 25°C or above the past two weeks and it's been killing me. So hard to sleep at night since we have no AC :p

Xie said:
Whats wrong w/ 14F? I would take that over 75+F any day of the year. :) Oh and heat index is 97F right now. Been hotter then hell since I got up @ 9am today. :( It's been so hot lately I feel I've moved south. :(

14 F? Eeh, forget it. My parents retired in Maine (grew up in New Jersey myself) and after the rather bad winter of 96 with snow storm 96, winter 96, blizzard 96, and the record 134" of snow...even natives who lived their whole life up there decided to move south ;)

I didn't care much for the cold myself... That said, New Jersey (and also New York) has a different sort of heat then the south west, albeit the relative humidity has risen some since I moved out here...

75 I don't find so bad, but a hot day in August could be in the 90s with over 85% relative humidity (even in the 90s of % relative humidity)... That was when I lived in New Jersey.

Here the RH is more like 20 or 35%... Feels more like an oven (type heat) then the sticky kind...

All in all, I've experienced all 3 (drier heat, hot and muggy, as well as cold). Hot and muggy is the worst, but I got tired of the sub-freezing single digit temps as well...

BTW, the worst was one year when I was growing up in NJ, and it hit 110 degrees (and yes was just as humid as ever). We were at a company picnic for where my father worked, at this amusement park... Lets just say it was so hot, there wasn't a square inch to walk around in the pool as everyone tried to cool off :eek:

tdinc said:
yes but there is no humidity in the mideast. just like going out west its more dry.

Yeah, it's a different kind of heat (and also a different kind of cold) without so much humidity... We do have some humidity in the south west here...but it's definitely low. It has increased somewhat, probably due to the number of peeps with swimming pools and what not... There are also places like UNM, my appt complex, and what not that have lawns, trees (which aren't cactus :) ) and they do run sprinklers, routinely. Though there is water conservation in place, the local government does the same...

There's nothing like the hot sticky feeling. Especially, such as when I was a kid in NJ and the central air died in the house. Lets just say that even with it in the high 80s to lower 90s (at night) we were sticking to our sheets :eek:

The cold is also different, with the sort of cold that peeps feel at the coast not feeling quite so cold (compared to what we feel with less humidity). The dry cold, does feel a bit cooler then relatively humid and cold... Also add the wind chill factor as one moves close to certain parts of the Sandias, which is one of the mountain's that surround the city (such as on Central Ave. right around Tramway)...the wind there in Dec and January can blow a bit hard at times...

Course wrt to working in the computers out here in the winter... Lets just say that in the drier air (even without it heated) static electricity does become quite common. More so then when I lived on the East coast.

I'm in NY (upstate (CNY) not NYC) and it's humid as hell here for about a week now. Even as I type this now it's 86F outside w/ 65% relative humidity making the heat index 91F. It's 9:45PM for goodness sakes! Was like 75%+ RH for the most part of the day w/ temp in the high 80's. :( I guess I'm a diehard new yorker as I would gladly trade these temps away for even sub-zero temps (below 0F). :D This stuff is just awful ...

This is bad...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050720/ap_on_re_us/heat_deaths

PHOENIX - An unrelenting heat wave is being blamed for 11 deaths in Phoenix since Saturday, nearly one-third of the total counted statewide all last year. Arizona residents are used to heat, but not like this.

It's been more than a week since the mercury dropped below 89 in the city, even at night, and the high has been at least 110 degrees for nine straight days. On Sunday, Phoenix set a record at 116 degrees.

The spike in heat-related deaths reported by Phoenix police prompted the mayor to ask for water donations this week, particularly to help the homeless.

Nine of the 11 victims were homeless; the others were elderly women, one whose home cooling system wasn't on.

Bill Manson, development coordinator for Central Arizona Shelter Services, said a lack of space to house and cool the homeless is part of the problem. His agency can take in about 520, but an estimated 8,000 homeless people live in Maricopa County.

While the homeless are among those at highest risk from suffering a heat-related illness, health officials warn that many of those who die of heat-related illnesses are people working outside.

A person doing strenuous activity outside can use up to a gallon of water an hour, said Will Humble of the Arizona Department of Health Services. Even those sitting still in the shade need a liter or two an hour.

Last year, the state Health Department documented 34 heat-related deaths. Illegal immigrants killed by heat-related illnesses are counted separately.

BTW, one of my brothers survived something similar. He was working outside on heavy machinery during a hot and humid August New Jersey day... With all the black top and the heavy equipment it has been suggested it was around 200 degrees around there (but I'm not sure about that).

Anyhow, I gather the employer didn't provide any water, and he collapsed. Paramedics were able to revive him however... One thing when one gets badly dehydrated though, the body becomes unable of absorbing fluids by simply drinking water. They have to use a KCl solution in water (or something of the sort) which is administered introveniously to start re-hydrating one...

I used to do construction, and we had a laser thermometer, the highest I have seen was 178 on fresh roof felt on a 107 day. The OSB (roof sheeting) that we were putting down was usally 130-140 during the day. I know personally I used to drink a 2.5 gallon jug of water a day plus Gatorade, coffee, and a few sodas.

And it is true that when you get used to it you can stand it easily.

It was terrible here yesterday with the index hitting 107F with the humidity between 70-80%. It's going to be similar temps today but with lower humidity.
This is like the 2nd or 3rd heatwave (that's hit over 100F) we've had here in Atlantic Canada since the end of May! :( I don't mind warm weather but since I'm outside most of the day, it really whipes you out putting up with this sort of heat.

Steevo said:
I used to do construction, and we had a laser thermometer, the highest I have seen was 178 on fresh roof felt on a 107 day. The OSB (roof sheeting) that we were putting down was usally 130-140 during the day. I know personally I used to drink a 2.5 gallon jug of water a day plus Gatorade, coffee, and a few sodas.

And it is true that when you get used to it you can stand it easily.

Yeah, those roofers & pavers definitely deserve some kudos!

I live in Texas now. Nuff said bout heat :D

Thing is I felt a lot "hotter" in Tampa Bay because of the humidity.

Steevo said:

Yeah, that black top does tend to heat things up further, which is what my brother faced when he collapsed on the job...

200 degrees does have me scratching my head though, as we've already hit the point where DNA (let along proteins) denature (aka start losing their tertiary bonds). From the biology I've taken :confused:

But if you're measuring 178, it could well be... Thermometers don't lie :)

Sazar said:
I live in Texas now. Nuff said bout heat :D

Thing is I felt a lot "hotter" in Tampa Bay because of the humidity.

Yeah, humidity does add to it. But tbh m8, I'm not sure I'd want to head to Pheonix, AZ right about now, and I live in NM... It's unfortunate the heat wave hitting this year is resulting in a higher death count...

The trick is that the body can sweat and cool itself, soldiers were tested in a sort of oven for days at high temps and all survived fine as long as they stayed hydrated.

BTW it is 104 here today without a heat index.

:laugh:

Only prob is that where my father is living they're having "an ice age" :D Was talking to him on the phone. I live here in New Mexico, he lives in Maine. Apperently, as it's hot for us out here, where he lives they're awaiting a day of summer like weather. It's been getting down to the 30s or 40s at night...

Son Goku said:
:laugh:

Only prob is that where my father is living they're having "an ice age" :D Was talking to him on the phone. I live here in New Mexico, he lives in Maine. Apperently, as it's hot for us out here, where he lives they're awaiting a day of summer like weather. It's been getting down to the 30s or 40s at night...
Was low 60's here last night (NY, upstate) and was finally a good sleeping night. :D

It's been hot here for a while now and I wish it'd start cooling down.

It's 82.9 degrees farenheit right now in my bedroom and it's after 12:30 am.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back