10 MP SLR Camera Suggestion

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
can anyone suggest a good 10megapixel slr camera for the budding amateur ? d40 is nice but 6megapixel is a bit low res now :p

Re: Looking for a good Digital Camera and Video Camera

can anyone suggest a good 10megapixel slr camera for the budding amateur ? d40 is nice but 6megapixel is a bit low res now :p

Canon Rebel XTI. Awesome, awesome camera ..

Canon XS?

edit: you mention the D40 - if you already have an investment in nikon gear/glass, you may want to stick with the nikon line and move up to a D60. If you don't have any investment in Nikon/Canon, I'd consider the Canon line, either the XS or the XSi depending on your budget (or find a used XTi pretty cheap). Actually, across the pond, I don't think they refer to the Canon's using the XS/XSi terminology, so, for you, it's the Canon 1000D (XS), Canon 400D (XTi) or the Canon 450D (XSi).

Much will depend on your budget, however..

Last edited:

think about £500-£550 might be my limit atm - can get the d40 with lens (+ extra lens) bad card and flash for about £512

edit:

Canon

EOS1000D

Digital SLR Enthusiast Package

Product Information

• Canon EOS1000D KIT Digital SLR
  • Tamron 70-300mm Lens
  • Sunpak PF30X IPH Flash
  • Lexar 4GB SD Card
  • Lowepro Altus 160 Holdall

• Picture Resolution - 10 million pixels
  • Lens Size - 18-55mm IS
  • 10 million pixels Picture Resolution
  • Built-in Dust Prevention System - Yes
  • Memory Format - SD/SDHC

Price

£553.00

not bad i suppose - everything else above that is welll out of my range :p

Carpo - I created a new thread for you. With all due respect it's on the opposite end of what I am looking for so wanted to keep them seperate, thanks.

think about £500-£550 might be my limit atm - can get the d40 with lens (+ extra lens) bad card and flash for about £512

edit:

Canon

EOS1000D

Digital SLR Enthusiast Package

Product Information

• Canon EOS1000D KIT Digital SLR
  • Tamron 70-300mm Lens
  • Sunpak PF30X IPH Flash
  • Lexar 4GB SD Card
  • Lowepro Altus 160 Holdall

• Picture Resolution - 10 million pixels
  • Lens Size - 18-55mm IS
  • 10 million pixels Picture Resolution
  • Built-in Dust Prevention System - Yes
  • Memory Format - SD/SDHC

Price

£553.00

not bad i suppose - everything else above that is welll out of my range :p

You get what you pay for. And Canon is top notch - :p

i bought my wife a canon xsi, she loves it and its a great camera 10mp.... battery life is also amazingly good, i was really surprised.

so is the eos1000d better than the 450 or the other way around ? it seems the 450 is cheaper than the 1000d

Carpo - I created a new thread for you. With all due respect it's on the opposite end of what I am looking for so wanted to keep them seperate, thanks.

They had sorted your issue!!! thread pollution is a crime you know - its contributing to the state of our environment!!!! :p

you know carpo any canon dslr, will suit your needs even the entry level eos100d (Rebel XS). it runs about $350. personally i would go with that or the nikon entry level camera. unless you are a pro or pro-am anything else is a waste. as any of them pretty much take the same quality picture, but its all the extra stuff, that i am sure you would never use you pay for.... the only thing i would add is image stabilization and ability for quality night time pictures would trump the above.

but i would go for the rebel xs.....

i will use it for usual family taking pictures and texture pictures which i will use in 3d rendering and am thinking of doing scenery based images - photographic, so am willing to pay for a camera that will sort my needs now and last me quite a few years into the future, so what i may not use now i can always find out about on the camera and may use later :) - must admit i have had my eye on a cannon eos for sometime but never really taken the plunge - when i get paid at the end of the month and if there is any in stock in a shop near me i may have to give it the once over then - see which feels right for me :)

Trust me dude, you will not be disappointed with the EOS. I love mine. I would gladly buy another one ...

As many (including myself) have mentioned, either the D40 or the Canon 1000D makes a fine starting point. Personally, I'm a Canon fan - my brother is a Nikon fan. We coexist quite peacefully with only an occasional philosophic difference.

The Nikon's are a bit more.. hefty (in a good way). I actually like the way the Nikon fits my hands better. The Nikon also has a second smaller LCD screen on the top of the body that is really nice to have, the Canon doesn't add the 2nd LCD until you get into the 40D/50D range which is way out of your budget. But, I still bought a Canon for the better noise reduction and (in my opinion) better glass moving forward.

most people i know have always gone for the eos, whats the battery life on i, do you have to use x amount of batteries or is it a chargeable thing?

it has a rechargeable, when me and the family went to singapore and thailand earlier this yr, it would last about two days of solid picture taking, i'm talking about 1500 images taken before the battery needed to be charged.

yeah, the battery life on them is pretty good. But in any case, you can always get a spare if you are worried; it is doubtful you will need it though ...

Yeah, definitely a Canon over the Nikon. Canon's entry level DSLRs are superior to the Nikon entry level. I have used the XT, XTI and currently I own the 40D. For your range, I would suggest the XTI. Pick up the 50mm f/1.8 lens also. It's around $80 USD, but takes amazing portrait shots.

The kit 18-55mm lens is decent, nothing to rave over... but photography isn't the equipment you use, it's your eye and your knowledge of what you are doing.

Yeah, definitely a Canon over the Nikon. Canon's entry level DSLRs are superior to the Nikon entry level. I have used the XT, XTI and currently I own the 40D. For your range, I would suggest the XTI. Pick up the 50mm f/1.8 lens also. It's around $80 USD, but takes amazing portrait shots.

The kit 18-55mm lens is decent, nothing to rave over... but photography isn't the equipment you use, it's your eye and your knowledge of what you are doing.

agreed regarding the eye and knowledge.

I know what you mean by the lens and equipment. My wife has been looking at new lenses and a flash for hers. Some of them are a little pricey, but well worth it if you ask me.

Did I also mention that photography is also about how much you can use photoshop? haha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back