10 freeware alternatives to WinRAR and WinZip

binoyxj

PrOuD InDiAn
1. 7-Zip: Download Size: 840KB (32 bit), 1.1MB (64 bit)
2. IZArc: Download Size: 3.5 MB
3. TUGZip: Download Size: 3.9 MB
4. Quick Zip: Download Size: 4.27 MB
5. DropZip: Download Size: 9.2 MB
6. PeaZip: Download Size: 2.6 MB
7. ALZip: Download Size: 5.5 MB
8. jZip: Download Size: 2.3 MB
9. ZipGenius : Download Size: 4.9 MB
10.ZipStar: Download Size: 6.6 MB

Last edited:
7-zip is way better.
Although I must say, I still have WinRAR only because it can add multiple files to different archives, something 7-zip can't do. It's just every file in 1 huge archive, everything must be done manually :(

But the nag screens... <_<
7z compression is much better. :)

I use WinRAR as it supports pretty much everything, 7z files included.
Any one used any of the other programs except 7-Zip?

i've always just used winrar.
avoid the nag screens by not opening the program itself. turn on the menu options and just right click files to compress them or right click archives to uncompress them. no having to deal with the registration reminder.

Now if 7-zip got that multiple archiving I'd uninstall WinRar for good.
WinRar also takes longer, imo, for same compression method as 7z.

7-Zip supports the following formats for packing and unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, and TAR. For unpacking only, it supports RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, and DEB, the vendor says. It also features a self-extracting capability for files in the 7z format and an integrated file manager.

Winrar is free to use isn't it? But yeah 7zip is better anyway

7-Zip supports the following formats for packing and unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2, and TAR. For unpacking only, it supports RAR, CAB, ARJ, LZH, CHM, Z, CPIO, RPM, and DEB, the vendor says. It also features a self-extracting capability for files in the 7z format and an integrated file manager.

Hmm, you seem to have gotten an older features list. From what I see, it supports Unpacking only: RAR, CAB, ISO, ARJ, LZH, CHM, MSI, WIM, Z, CPIO, RPM, DEB and NSIS. Cool that's the first step to making portable applications :D

Winrar is free to use isn't it? But yeah 7zip is better anyway

yes and no. when you download it off the site, your downloading a 30 day demo. however, this demo has ALL the features of the full program. after the 30 days is up, nothing gets disabled. you still have full use of everything in the program. the only thing that happens is that a small pop up appears when you open the program saying that its expired and asking you to register, just need to click cancel on it to make it vanish so you can do what you want with the program.

Personally since using Johnny's Windows XP Ultimate I've grown to really like ULZip. It comes bundled with the OS setup...I can't complain at all

Just here to say that I'm an AlZip user for about two years now and it kicks some serious @$$. :)

Okay 7-Zip is quite powerful, but hey AlZip supports more although the graphical interface might lag a bit. :(

I use TUGZip
Here are some of its features:

supports ZIP, 7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, BH, BZ2, CAB, CPIO, DEB, GCA, GZ, IMP, JAR, LHA (LZH), LIB, RAR, RPM, SQX, TAR, TGZ, TBZ, TAZ, YZ1 and ZOO archives.
supports BIN, C2D, IMG, ISO and NRG disc-images.
create 7-ZIP, BH, BZ2, CAB, JAR, LHA (LZH), SQX, TAR, TGZ, YZ1 and ZIP archives.
basic features like: add, extract, delete, rename, run, view, checkout, install, test, comment, SFX, virus-scanning, disk-spanning and much more.
encrypt archives using 6 different algorithms. Blowfish (128-bit), DES (56-bit), Triple DES (168-bit) and Rijndael (128-bit, 192-bit and 256-bit).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back