10/100 LAN file transfer speeds

B

Buggerlugs

I`m currently running windows xp pro on my machine and 98se on my girlfriends both linked with a cross-over-cable (no hub) and two identical 10/100 NIC cards.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with the connection and i`m happily using proxy software to share a (56k modem) internet connection over the lan, the time it takes when I send a file to a shared folder seems long for a network supposidly connected at 100mbs (which a presume is 100 mega BITS per second)

A typical example was when I transfered my maps for the quake3 mod "urban terror" over to the 98se machine lastnight. A 180mb zip file took nearly 4 mins to travel along 5 meters of cable.

I`ve not messed with my network settings in xp much, apart from setting my IP address for it manually, So I have yet to mess with the QOS packet thingy either.

Should I be setting my NICs to 100 full duplex or something rather than Auto or is the bandwidth i`m getting just Atypical and normal for a 100mbs network?

I also wondered this as i have a Fast ethernet 100Mb/sec

I get about 150MB/minutes 2K to XP , about 4 mins to move a whole CD , there must be a bottleneck somewhere in XP

Network speeds depend on a lot of factors. The quality of the NIC, the quality of the cables, the proximity to devices that can cause magnetic interference with the cable. Unless your wiring is immacuate and meets every data wiring standard/code, your network will rarely run at its full rated speed.

JJB6486

I am having exactly the same kind of through put problems after my upgrade to XP. When I installed XP, I opted to do a dual boot configuration so I still have Win98SE available.

When I transfer files over my 10/100 network from XP I get a transfer speed of about 2 MB/s but if I boot into Win98SE and do the same transfer again I get speeds of 4-5 MB/s.

Please note, that the transfers are done using exactly the same network hardware and wiring. This leads me to believe that it is something in XP itself that is causing the slower transfer speeds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back