Reply
Old July 1st, 2005 Top | #1
 
dubstar's Avatar
format c:
Joined: December 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,358
Reputation: 50
Power: 157

Default adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

if i add an IP to this file, what happens? I'm trying to get a private Lineage 2 game going and the site is asking me to do this..

"After you have installed the C3 Client, check for any updates using the auto-updater.

After the update is complete you have only one thing left to do! You must go to your c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder. In there is a file named \"hosts\", without the quotes. Open it with a text editor such as notepad. And add the following line at the bottom:
62.234.162.148 L2authd.lineage2.com"


is this ok to do?


QuistPro: 13" macbook pro. mid 2009. 10.6.4

box360: xbox 360 elite

apple airport extreme / fios / 10mb/2mb

retired:

nerdBox: a7n8x-d / xp pro / 2800 athlon xp

quistBox: xbox 1.6b / 250g / xenium ice mod-chip

quistServ: dell pEdge 600sc / 2k3

blackthorne: dell e1505 / mce / 1.83 duo

iQuist: White 3g iPhone / 16g / jailbroken / unlocked TMobile

quistMobile: tmobile mda

quistMobile2: htc g1
dubstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005 Top | #2
 
Kush's Avatar
High On Life!
Joined: January 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,590
Reputation: 1300
Power: 213

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

i would guess its ok, all it does is doesnt go to whatever u put into that file, and i saw something like that for my friends pcphone prog with ips before its domain and it still works fine



If Someones post is helpful or makes you laugh, reward the person by clicking on this button--->
Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005 Top | #3
 
ThePatriot's Avatar
-=[BOHICA!]=-
Joined: January 2004
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,742
Reputation: 750
Power: 155

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

The hosts file is referenced first by Windows to do name resolution (before your ISP's name servers are queried)...i.e. to turn L2authd.lineage2.com into 62.234.162.148. All web sites are referenced by an IP address...the name is simply to make it human-friendly.


ThePatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2005 Top | #4

OSNN Folding Team  
vern's Avatar
Dominus
Joined: March 2002
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,570
Reputation: 660
Power: 174

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

Apparently the host "L2authd.lineage2.com" doesn't really exist on the internet, therefore they want you to resolve the name locally to the IP address ... hence their instructions.
vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005 Top | #5

OSNN Folding Team  
kcnychief's Avatar
█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Joined: April 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,948
Reputation: 4941
Power: 333

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

Originally Posted by dubstar
if i add an IP to this file, what happens? I'm trying to get a private Lineage 2 game going and the site is asking me to do this..

"After you have installed the C3 Client, check for any updates using the auto-updater.

After the update is complete you have only one thing left to do! You must go to your c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder. In there is a file named \"hosts\", without the quotes. Open it with a text editor such as notepad. And add the following line at the bottom:
62.234.162.148 L2authd.lineage2.com"


is this ok to do?
This works fine, and in agreement with everyone else on the fuction. I have even seen viruses that perform the following...

127.0.0.1 windowsupdate.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantec.com

Anyways, to make a long story short, they take EVERY useful site for clearing the virus, and send it to the loopback. That mofo is a tough one to kill...


XBOX Live Gamertag: kcnychief
kcnychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005 Top | #6
 
mrowton's Avatar
OSNN Junior Addict
Joined: December 2004
Location: US
Posts: 10
Reputation: 0
Power: 120

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

Originally Posted by vern
Apparently the host "L2authd.lineage2.com" doesn't really exist on the internet, therefore they want you to resolve the name locally to the IP address ... hence their instructions.
nslookup for me shows L2authd.lineage2.com lives at 206.127.151.66

It seems odd that they would ask everyone to change their host file instead of just changing their DNS.

Is it possible that someone is trying to point you to a scam page?


--
Directory of Network Security White Papers
http://www.securitydocs.com/
mrowton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005 Top | #7
 
Mastershakes's Avatar
OSNN Veteran Addict
Joined: July 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,721
Reputation: 1040
Power: 152

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

Originally Posted by ThePatriot
The hosts file is referenced first by Windows to do name resolution (before your ISP's name servers are queried)...i.e. to turn L2authd.lineage2.com into 62.234.162.148. All web sites are referenced by an IP address...the name is simply to make it human-friendly.

turn it into? huh?

It's a pointer.
Mastershakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005 Top | #8
 
dubstar's Avatar
format c:
Joined: December 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,358
Reputation: 50
Power: 157

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

Originally Posted by mrowton
nslookup for me shows L2authd.lineage2.com lives at 206.127.151.66

It seems odd that they would ask everyone to change their host file instead of just changing their DNS.

Is it possible that someone is trying to point you to a scam page?

the software is retail but some guys got the server specs and turned a huge MMORPG in to a private server (free) MMORPG.

i got it working though. thanks for your help guys


QuistPro: 13" macbook pro. mid 2009. 10.6.4

box360: xbox 360 elite

apple airport extreme / fios / 10mb/2mb

retired:

nerdBox: a7n8x-d / xp pro / 2800 athlon xp

quistBox: xbox 1.6b / 250g / xenium ice mod-chip

quistServ: dell pEdge 600sc / 2k3

blackthorne: dell e1505 / mce / 1.83 duo

iQuist: White 3g iPhone / 16g / jailbroken / unlocked TMobile

quistMobile: tmobile mda

quistMobile2: htc g1
dubstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005 Top | #9

OSNN Folding Team  
kcnychief's Avatar
█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Joined: April 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,948
Reputation: 4941
Power: 333

Default Re: adding to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host"

I didn't want to add to this thread, but on a similar topic, check out the new thread I just created...

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=77599


XBOX Live Gamertag: kcnychief
kcnychief is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Annoying "Generic Host Process" problem. Cen0x Windows Desktop Systems 8 August 18th, 2006 12:12am
Adding "Send To" Locations dubstar Windows Desktop Systems 9 February 29th, 2004 9:54pm
"How do you disable the "Logon" screen in Windows 2000?" Silverado2000 Windows Desktop Systems 3 February 27th, 2003 11:22am
Adding "My Videos" to Start Menu??? gabdala Windows Desktop Systems 1 November 8th, 2002 11:56pm
What is "Generic Host process for Win32 Services" ?? LPDad Windows Desktop Systems 2 January 28th, 2002 5:30am