Y'z Dock

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

Is there a version out there that works with Vista? Or another program like it?

2. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I'm not sure if it works with Vista, but ObjectDock is another app that does pretty much the same thing.

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

Don't let the screenshot there fool you, its pretty customizable how you can make it look. Here is what it looks like on my laptop running XP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. Island Dog

Island Dog OSNN Junior Addict

Yes, ObjectDock 1.5 is compatible with Vista. It was one of the first things I installed on Vista.

:)

4. Bman

I thought Object Dock wasen't free? That's weird.

Alright thanks.

5. Island Dog

There are two versions. ObjectDock is free, and there is a Plus version that adds features such as tabbed docks.

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I think Y'z dock stopped development a while back (years). ObjectDock is probably the way to go.

7. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I've used Objectdock for a long time but then I switched to Rocketdock. I feel the animation and usage is leaps and bounds better than objectdock.

http://www.punksoftware.com/

and yes it's been long gone. I have no idea why this one was stopped and others were left to still be developed on. Probably a very small design detail that was too close to the osx dock.

8. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

+1 on RocketDock. It it so much less invasive and memory usage is next to null. Not to mention it is stable as hell.. I would say its far better/more customizable than OSX dock. (as well as objectdock)

9. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I do have to add though that a weather docklet does not come with rocketdock like it does with objectdock but pulling the weather docklet out of the objectdock installer is easy and to install is easy as well. since you are running vista there are weather gadgets so it might be a moot point.

10. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I do remember that Y'z dock had trouble with being so similar to the dock in OS X. I never did understand how ObjectDock was able to continue development either.

11. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I just use the sidebar with the app launcher add on now. Works great.

12. Bman

I always tend to use it, no matter what problem, for awhile, then get rid of it. After while try it again, and so on and so on.

I don't know whats with me lol.

13. Island Dog

I first try using a dock several years ago, and haven't taken it off since. It's a big time saver for me, and the addition of tabbed docks is even more worth it.