You may not have permission to use this network resource...

there probably is something wrong with ZA :p - I never used it again anyway, but then I forget why i ever used it and also what was wrong with it!

Success! I've been googling and going through every Windows forum on the planet -- and I finally found a solution. Thus guy said he had the same problem and some UberGeek he works with came over to his house and fixed it. It's weird but---

Using Regedit.exe ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

Thanks everyone!

heya.

first of all, i owe that UberGeek a stiff drink. isn't it just frustrating when hours of your life depend on changing a '2' to a '0'?

solved my problem. I will describe my setup and network setup history for those poor bastards ( i was one of them until a few minutes ago) who are getting that annoying message.

I have a modem router wireless. wired to my desktop running xp professional. and a wirelessly connected laptop with xp home. i had the workgroup names the same, the ping commands worked between the computers and to the router. eventually the 'shared documents' "workaround" (as suggested by mainframe guy) was done on both machines. it allowed me to access the laptop from my desktop pc. the registry trick did it.
as a matter of interest, as already someone pointed out, the 'restrictanonymoususer' key is set to '0' on the xp home (default), it is set to '2' on the xp pro. i changed it to '0' on the desktop machine, rebooted (i think back up reg would have also worked without rebooting) and hey presto, it lives!!!!!!

thanks everyone, thanks monicax (a lady, i assume - trust a girl to get the job done).

i'm out.

Credit goes to Mok for this

Mok said:
I've had this problem several times before. To fix:

Assuming you're using Windows XP Professional, go to Start->Run->gpedit.msc

This will bring up the group policy management window. Navigate to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment. Once here, check the two policies: "Access this computer from the network" and "Deny access to this computer from the network." Make sure "everyone" and "guest" are listed in the "access", and that neither are listed in the "deny."

This should allow everyone to connect to your computer without a problem and view your shares. However, they may experience problems when trying to access shares. To fix this, disable simple file sharing by opening any folder on your computer and going to Tools->Folder Options->Advanced and unchecking "use simple file sharing (recommended)" near the bottom. Once you do this, right click on each of your shares and go to the security tab. Make sure "everyone" and "guest" are listed, and then click "advanced." Check the box that says "replace permission entries on all child..." then apply the changes. When prompted for "this folder only" or "this folder and all subfolders, files" choose the "all subfolders" option. Other users should now be able to access your shares without incident.

--
Mok

------------------------------
If you are interested in the gory background look here for that thread and here for one where I had just your sort of problems!

Oh - and Welcome to OSNN, enjoy your stay! :cool:

AH THANKS.
I just got a new notebook with XP pro on it. My desktop machine is XP pro.
Until now my old laptop was 98SE, never had a problem with sharing so I could keep the files in sync between the two of them. Wired or wireless networking on my old lappy, both worked flawlessly on 98SE of the lappy with XPpro on the desktop.

Got the new notebook and wired to a 10/100 on the switch, not a problem worked like a champ.
Every time I went wireless it was just freeky.. I could always see both, but got the old error.. my not have permission.. you know.
Some times it worked.. sometimes only one way.. desktop could get into the shared folders of the new lappy, or the other way around.. but never booth unless I was hardwired via the nic on the lappy. Drove me nutz.
I had noticed also from day one with the xp pro desktop that some of my other XP home machines, (wife and daughters) couldn't always connect to my XP pro desktop.. so I just never tackled it.. instead I would just push files on to their machine (I could always get on to theirs).

One thing I had to do different with the above apps instructions.
Once I clicked on "add user or group", I had to click on the "advanced" tab. Then change "location" to the workgroup, then hit "find now", and if gives you the specific machines (users) that can attach that are on the workgroup. Pick and add/apply and it works like a charm.

In the simple screen (before hitting "advanced") Adding a guest didn't work and it kept barking at me. The app kept wanting to tie guest to the local machine I was making the change on.

During my google search I've seen a lot of people complain of the same problem with WLAN on their lappy to their hardwired NIC desktop, with no solutions on those threads. I saw the XPhome solution. I haven't had to try it since all my xphomes let my xppro onto them.. it's just my xp pro machines that tighten their legs once in a while for some strange reason.. seems the group policy edit did it.

THANKS!
-Bob

Edite / UPDATE 1 day later....:
Ok... well it doesn't stick ..

While running around fixing 10 different things, I didn't notice the little lock on the folder icon for the items in the panel.
And a little window that pops up that says my changes weren't saved in the group policy database.

How does one go about unlocking the folder in the Group Policy left hand window so the changes can be saved?
(weren't they not locked with SP1?)

TIA.!
-Bob

EDIT:
Another find while trying to "unlock the Group Policy" folders...
This is a Big "DUH", Homer Style.
Need to have the Guest account enabled!
Enabled them on my XPpro machines, and on the Home machines.
All the home machines weren't a problem with each other, but at times couldnt access a pro machine. Now with all the machines having their guest accounts enabled.....
Now no matter wired, wireless, re-booting.. off then back on.. I keep access to my shares on all my machines.

But I still would love to know how to unlock the group policy folders and the security folders in the admin panels...

Last edited:
ALL-

I just wanted to drop a line on this forum and say thank you!!!!!!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

I had been working on day two of trying to solve this problem, I modified the registry, restarted, and I was able to actually browse the directory!!! A hearty thanks!
I couldn't have done it without this forum and it's generous users!

J-

Do you have a link to a shared folder/drive that does not longer exist?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back