You may not have permission to use this network resource...

well - with ping working you are out of hardware issues and down to software!... How are you with the shared documents workaround?

I can't access shared documents. If I go to "my network places" and click on the desktop icon, that's when I get the error. So I can't get farther than that.

OK let's try a slightly different route - start again from going to your network places, but instead of heading right for the desktop click "view workgroup computers" in the left hand pane.... should bring up \\laptop for you and hopefully you'll also see "documents" try accessing that, I think you should find it to be the shared documents folder and hopefully access is not denied that way - let us know! (this is something I can do from my own XP Pro desktop to my XP Home laptop)

OK. I've been going to "view workgroup computers" -- when I click on that, I get 2 icons, one for the desktop, one for the laptop. That's all I see. And of course, when I click on it I get the dreaded eror message. Aargh! Is it too early for a martini?

Ok, share a random folder on each machine by right clicking on that folder,properties and enable sharing, share this folder on the network

I've done that before. I even tried enabling sharing on the whole drive. But I just did it again on another folder on each machine. Where do I look for it on the laptop? I can see the shared folder that's on the laptop in "my network places" on the desktop -- but there's nothing there on the laptop.

This may sound whack but...try creating a different username/password on the desktop machine, share a folder and then see if you can access it from the laptop that way.

Well I hate to say this, but I've tried that too. But you never know -- so I did it agian. Still no worky.

bleah! It was definitely "the right time" for a martini! This has me stumped now, apart from the suggestion of an upgrade to XP Pro (which whilst it might work should not be strictly necessary and involves some $ and fiddle, doing the installs)...

Best I can do right now for you is bump the thread and hope someone else has an idea - anyone?

Success! I've been googling and going through every Windows forum on the planet -- and I finally found a solution. Thus guy said he had the same problem and some UberGeek he works with came over to his house and fixed it. It's weird but---

Using Regedit.exe ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

Thanks everyone!

wow, thats a weird one, it gave you no means to logon anything but anonymous!
Must be an XPHome thing I guess.

Glad to hear you found a solution as well. Stange XP setup stuff :)

Feel free to keep around the forums as well, as most of the regulars here are quite nice really :D

For XP home seeing as you cant have the GUI versions of the NTFS security settings stuff for all problems related to permissions I would say get XCACLS and with this you can use the CMD window and view/change all NTFS permissions for all folders / files

interesting - just checked on my laptop (only machine I have XP home on) and this registry value is already present and set as you describe...

Leading me to wonder how you got it set differently or not present? Not that is necessarily matters now you have resolved the problem, but if it was something that might happen again it might be good to know - so if problem recurrs and you notice the cause do let us know.

Happy networking now ;)

Hi
hope Im not to late to get some help here,

I have had the same problem, I followed the 'Mainframeguy's advice and one of my two XP machines allowed the other machines (XP and Linux boxes) in but one just wont.

So next I tryed the Regedit.exe thing that worked for MonicaX but fo me bot machines are set to ...

DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 1

Not 0 like indicated, so I changed the offending machine and still no satisfaction and so here I am.

Can anyone help me?

Just wanted to pop-in and note that MonicaX's solution of:

DWORD KEY "restrictanonymous" = 0

Worked for me as well.... No martini's here...I'm goin into the red wine :)

My system is WinXp home on both systems (PC Desktops each) SP2 also on both. I have Macafee antivirus running in addition to Microsoft Antispyware beta. I use a Linksys wireless G router and a Dlink wireless card.

Thanks to all concerned...especially monica and Mainframe guy who really went the distance on this.

Prop

PS... I did the regedit adjustment on both machines.

I have pinged all computers I use to be able to acces programs 2 computers ob XP pro and the other on XP but still get error you might not have permission to use this this network resource help

Have you checked the permission? Sounds obvious I know , but.....

Also you may be better with a fresh thread - this is something of a resurrection and it would be good to have the specifics of your situation - with more details....

Oh - and welcome to OSNN! ;) We have a thread for that too .....

I solved my problem by never using Zone Alarm again. Can't say that there's anything wrong with ZA, but I know that getting rid of it made the problem go away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back