Xvid dvd players and HR Video Files

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kush, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Kush

Kush High On Life!

Hey guys, i download HR (High reslolution) hdtv rips of show episodes from bt and i was wondering why my friend and another person that mentioned the same problem online cant watch them on their xvid enabled dvd players (there is sound but no video). is it maybe because the files are too high of a resolution for the player to handle or is it because maybe they use a newer version of the codec then the player supports, im thinking its the first one but could be something else

2. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

bingo. most players don't support anything higher than dvd resolution, and even then, NONE that i know of actually support full MPEG4 ASP spec (eg won't play qpel, gmc, etc). you need to re-encode them at a lower res, and be sure the audio format is supported

the thing about mpeg4 codecs is they must be mpeg4 compliant, if they break the spec then they can no longer be called mpeg4. all versions (except maybe really really early builds) are compatible.

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

damn it, but thats the whole point of downloading them hr, ohh well, hopefully in the future they will release firmware updates or in new models it will be supported

4. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

One of my DVD players is DivX certified and plays all DivX videos and _most_ Xvid videos. The Xvid videos won't play, however, when the audio is AC3.

rotjong