xvid codec install

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by jimi_81, Feb 18, 2006.

1. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

Hi guys
    Is there a way to get an xvid movie to work on a pc if the user has no administrative rights to install, or modify the registry?

thanks

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

If the user has no admin rights, they will not be able to install anything. So I guess the answer to your question is no ...

3. jimi_81

ok.

i was hoping there was a portable solution. just as there is with firefox portable (standalone, no need for registry, or install files.

4. jimi_81

i found something..
    VLC Media Player!!

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, VLC is the greatest thing ever for video. It plays just about everything I throw at it. :)

6. Johnny

I don't care for vlc for some reason .. I like the k-lite codec pack with media player classic better. That will play anything as well..

7. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Same with Winamp :)

8. Johnny

Winamp has to much a grumbling, and static noise when I listen to it. It drives me crazy.

9. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

there is nothing good about codec packs. best thing is ffdshow, media player classic and dscaler. vlc as backup.

mpc can play most formats, like vlc, without installation.eg for xvid, just put the xvid.dll in mpc's folder

10. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

MPC still needs codecs to play video files, and ffdshow comes with most codec packs...

11. vertigo

technically only the dll, so no installation is needed

ffdshow is not a codec pack, nore does it come with any codec packs. its an excellent versatile dshow(and vfw) playback filter that happens to support almost all formats one would encounter, aside from rm and qt, which is solved through installing qt and real alternative

12. Aprox

ffdshow does come included in some codec packs, such as the Klite codec pack. Go to the site and educate yourself.

13. vertigo

i apologize, we've had some bad communication-- post #10 can be interpreted as "ffdshow is included with some codec packs" or "ffdshow installation includes codec packs".

take a look at the list of (mostly) crap k-lite installs

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  14. Aprox

Well, I do quite a bit of encoding for video composting and editing. And I do use Indeo quite a bit since it works on almost any modern system without having to install any third-party codecs. Also, its a pretty good codec quality wise, sure Xvid, divx... and well lots of others are better... but its a good legacy codec to use.

I will agree that the Klite pack is poorly put together, however it is a good one stop solution for some users.

15. Johnny

I been using k-lite codec pack for a while now; I never had a problem with it conflicting. I once thought that it would, then, earlier versions did, but the newer ones don't give any probs ..

I like to use it, mostly for the fact that media player classic isn't nearly a resource hog as wmp. And it runs better ... Also, k-lite gives you the option to install what you want. So if you don't want something, just don't put a check by it.