XP Writer query

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Funkyb, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Funkyb

Funkyb Simple

I have a windows xp with a cd writer and a dvd writer. For no reason one day xp decided not to recognise the drives as writers so I cant use the internal writer program (not that I do often but I would like the choice). Nero recognises them but not xp. I went into the drives properties and the little tab that says this is a writer drive does not exist anymore. I heard that you can go into regedit and turn the writer option on but I cant remeber where it is. Please help.
    Bruce

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Did you set in nero, that nero was the default application and that has access to the writing functions only?

Maybe you can write to cd via xp if you have no other applications that will do it for you.

I did use nero 5.5 a long time ago, on my gf's machine and ez-cd creator on mine, maybe nero sees itself as the default for all things burning, etc... So never used xp to write atall.

3. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

Well, there are three possible things that could have happened, two of which are more likely.

1. The connect in the case has become loose. Very unlikely but it is vaugly at the end of the tether possible.

2. XP has corrupted so that it has either lost the driver information at startup if something was loaded or more likely the drivers themselves have corrupted in the system or another folder. This is the most likely problem, you may want to try reloading the writer drivers.

3. Something has changed in XPs system state in terms of the main .dll or other system files which has caused the writers not to be detected.

To solve the problem its probably best to try and reinstall the hardware drivers that came with the writers, even if this means uninstalling then reinstalling them. If something is wrong with XP itself you could try opening the run prompt and typing sfc /scannow which will check the core system files and repair them.

Hope this helps anyway :)

4. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Funkyb likes this.
  5. Funkyb

Funkyb Simple

Nice one bush dogg. That is what I was after. Lee, Dublex, I will give your ideas a go because xp won't just change the settings for the fun of it, there could be something a little deeper than simple reg hacks.

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Try uninstalling the IDE controller, rebooting, and hoping windows new hardware wizard picks it up