XP won't start, PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wingman411, Apr 7, 2006.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

I can't get windows to start. I installed a new dvd +- RW drive and now when I try to start the computer I get this error:

windows\system32\config\systems
    crorrupt or missing

I can see all the drives ok in the bios and it still starts in windwos 98 as it was a multi boot

Please help. I don't want to reinstall or repair if I don't have to.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What happens if you unplug the dvd rom then boot up?

3. wingman411

same problem. I tried to disconnect both dvd roms and still same error.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Sounds like a registry problem. Go to Microsoft to sort it out........hopefully.

5. technokid88

technokid88 Part of a System Folding Team

have you tried booting with the xp disk and then doing the repair function.

6. wingman411

Do i just reinstall windows over the existing one?

I tried doing the repair console and copying the system file to a tmp dir and it says it can't find the file.

If I reinstall over the existing windows in d:, will i lose all my document files?

7. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Boot from cd-rom, start as if you wanted to install windows, walk through the screens at one point it shows an option to repair ignore this first time, after it has searched for a previous installation, it should show you your all ready installed partition, here you high light this and choose the "r" repair option.

8. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

And no, you will not lose your documents if you do a reinstall on top of the current install.

9. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I just reread this thread noticing fimchick answered your query and this popped out at me....

I believe installing to a D: drive could be the actual cause of your problem in the first place.

Windoze tends to hate being taken away from the C: drive and although it is theoretically OK to do so I have found it just ain't worth the potential hassle and it pays to just let XP do what it wants and own your C: drive... Hope I got this information to you before you repair install....

Oh and actually I hope your repair install was enough - because if you need to move to the C: drive you'll be up for a reformat / fresh install - and then you may need to take care of being sure to keep your documents etc. Anyways, always good practice to have backup (you DO have backup, don't you!)