xp VS 64

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lancer, Jan 25, 2005.

1. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

IS IT WORTH BUYING AN AMD 3200XP OR JUST GOING OUT AND GETTING AN AMD64. bEARING IN MIND IF I GET A 64 I ALSO NEED TO BUY A NEW MOBO

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

With your current system, I don't see the point in dishing out that much money on a minor upgrade. You should continue using your existing system until you REALLY need to upgrade.

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

this is a bad time if your interested in future proofing, I don't think it's a good time to get a motherboard

4. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

How very cheery :)

Why is it a bad time for future proofing perris?

5. yea your computer seems to be nice save money from now to buy the best parts next year :D (amd 64 8000+)

6. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I'm not as hardware aware as you guys, so don't take my opinion as anything too seriously.

obviously, with computers, there's never a great time to future proof, but now, I think sound cards aren't gonna spend too much more time on pci, skip pci-x, as that's more for servers, and go straight to pci-e

you can't really buy pci express stuff right now, so you need pci slots...maybe something with a few pci slots, and pci-e for when the time comes

I don't know...you can't really sit around and wait either

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

If you think your machine is running slow, I would probably suggest to format and re-install windows (with only the essential applications on top). That way, you'll clear out of the crap out of the registry and have a clean start. That's how I kept my machine running at 1500+ for more than a year. :)

8. FastGame

FastGame OSNN Junior Addict

I think your system is fine as is, even if you were to upgrade only your CPU the XP 3200 isn't the answer....XP 2600 Moble barton is :)

I say be happy for awhile longer :)

9. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

I have to say i've used almost all the of the 120gb of memory mostly on games, probably got about 20 games installed on the machine.