XP User Accounts... Help

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by stevebor1, Oct 18, 2002.

1. stevebor1

stevebor1 Guest

I have always used my Administrator account on xp and relized that i shoud be using my personal account, so that it would be easier to share my computer on the network.

Now that i loaded up my settings and programs on my administrator account, can i transfer all those settings and prefferances to a different user account? basically so those would be identical, so i can start working off my personal account?

help :(

2. masterbug

masterbug Guest

Move or copy (not sure wich one) the folders in administrator to your personal account..

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I'm not sure Windows will be happy about this (but I'm not sure). If not, it might better if you use the Transfer files and settings wizard. Make the backup on the Administrator account, restore it on the new account. You may have to copy the start menu and maybe reinstall some applications.

4. koko

koko Got Root?

why can't you use your admin account again? i have xp pro....with 1 account only (admin) and i'm on a network with 3 other 'puters. everything is running smoothly.

sounds more like a network issue than a user account issue.

5. Rascal

Rascal Guest

DONT COPY THE USER DIRECTORY CONTENTS OVER TO A NEW USER DIRECTORY

some 'application data' etc is user specific.....just copy across the static stuff, like your favourites and MYDOCS folder etc...

6. masterbug

masterbug Guest

Maybe it wasnt a clear post, but you can certainley copy the start menu and desktop to the "new user" in X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator to X:\Documents and Settings\New User.

I should have been more specific.

7. Johncki

Johncki Guest

8. dayle

dayle Guest

the files and settings wizars is the easiest and the best way to go about it

9. Johncki

Johncki Guest

10. Johncki

Johncki Guest

what am i doing wrong here..dayle..trying to post a link that works.

11. dayle

dayle Guest

:confused: :confused: