XP to 2k LAN first access *terrible* slow

H

HZingel

I habe one WinXP and four Win2k computers in a local network. All have IP numbers and links in each computers start menu to the hard drives of all other computers to quickly access each other. All computer can ping each other, but when the WinXP computer tries to access any of the Win2k-machines *for the first time in a session*, it locks up for up to THREE MINUTES until it sees the other computers drive. At the same time, when trying to access the WinXP-machine from a Win2k-computer, it's working immediately without any delay.
There are no any significant informations in the event protocol excel "EAPOL service started", "NProtectService started" and SNMP EvntAgent started" - that's normal I guess.
Once I bear the initial wait, I can then access all drives on the 2k-machine from XP as quickly as ever, but after a while, XP makes me wait again.
Any idea?
Harry Zingel

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6340
check that and try again. and one thing you must be aware of is your network is not, never was, and never will be "instant on". it takes time for your computers to all recognize and acknowledge eachother, and if you're trying to access one of them before this has fully happened, it can cause delays. but chances are this tip will solve your speed issues.
/Lactic

Thanx for this one... but it did not help. There may perhaps a very slight change, but still it takes MINUTES until I see the other drives in the network. Another observation is that if I click a link to another computer in the start menu, the start menu is completely tied up until the other computer is reached but during that time I can click links that are on the desktop & activate programs that run behind the opened start menu; if I place such a link on the desktop, it gets tied up entirely but I can still use the start menu.

Btw, the network monitor in the task manager says the LAN connection is working but it displays no any traffic when waiting and cpu load is 0%...:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back