XP System Restore, it does not work!!

dave, you can't do anything by accessing the system volume folder...those old ideas about deleting restore points was handily proven incorrect by that damned yank

every restore point counts on those berfore thje last...you can only safely delete the last, the first, or all

anything else corrupts everything else

:D Geesh - you'd think someone would cut lose with some rep points!!!:D

I'm bumping this - I badly need some rep points!

I never get any respect around here!

Ya'll got something against old men who are trying hard???:confused:

OMG - sorry - I did more than double my rep points - TYVM!!!!:D

I removed everything in the SVI directory and I mean everything. Worked fine but had to use safe mode and spent some time fiddling with security which was corrected on the next re-boot by XP.

This courtesy of XP Inside out: -

The default location for System Restore data is d:\System Volume Information, where d is the letter of each drive. Each restore point is stored in its own subfolder, under the name _restoreGUID, where GUID is a unique 32-character alphanumeric identifier. This location cannot be changed. On an NTFS drive, these files are not accessible to users, even those in the Administrators group; the default NTFS permissions grant access only to the System account. System Restore is a Windows XP service that runs automatically in the background, keeping a log of changes to file types defined in %SystemRoot%\System32\Restore\ Filelist.xml.

There were definitely errors in the SVI directory with the very first restore point (I upgraded to XP from 98) which was in 2001 contained large amounts of files taking up 0k of disk space which when deleted freed up 4gig of space. There was then a gap to 2003 (November) which when removed freed up another 1gig of space. These were the only restore points created. There is obviously something wrong here which I suspect had been wrong from the original upgrade to XP and was never corrected (or indeed noticed) there only being the symptom that whenever I attempted to use system restore it just never worked.

How this went undetected for so long, over two service packs is a mystery to me as once you know where to look (or are prodded) it’s an easy error to trap/correct. This would seem to beg the question why it has not been by Microsoft?

Damnyank deserves credit here so I will up his credibility a bit more.

:) :) :)

Damnyank: - bad news the system refused to allow me to up your rep points stating something like “not before you spread it around a bit”. Are their hippies running the show?

:) :) :eek:

dave holbon said:
Damnyank: - bad news the system refused to allow me to up your rep points stating something like “not before you spread it around a bit”. Are their hippies running the show?

:) :) :eek:
Lmao - not hippies - just probably some younger folk who don't like to see "older folk" get any credit!!!!

But thanks for trying!!!:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back