XP Start Menu (not classic)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bruce_ers00, Dec 16, 2002.

1. bruce_ers00

bruce_ers00 Guest

I have a Gateway computer and recently did a format due to tons of junk installed on my hard drive. When I first received the system, I had the option to remove certain items from the XP start menu. Including a Gateway Box icon that states "Do More with Gateway..." After doing a clean install (restore) from Gateway's CDs I no longer have the option to remove this shortcut. Does any have any clue how I can do this. Either by modifying the registry or a program?

Thanks!

2. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

As you got XP preinstalled, and you got a restore CD. I think the only solution will be to, make an XP CD. This way you could do a clean install easily (not restoring from cd) and getting rid of the crappy programs that came with it.

Go to this thread: http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17588&highlight=*cd*

Oh and if you downloaded SP1, you can put that on the cd aswell with XP.

3. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

Sorry the thread that I posted is wrong, that just says about making an XP SP1 cd. Sorry

For some reason I can't find that thread about making a bootable XP CD!

4. Tinker

Tinker Guest

Go to Regedit>Edit>Find and enter what ever the Gateway thingy is you are looking for. After the first one shows up if it is not what you are looking for then go to Find next......

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

It is most likely one of these keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f*-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}

6. bruce_ers00

bruce_ers00 Guest

Zanwar: I've already created a WinXP bootable CD. Although, I believe it to be faulty. I have also slip streamed XP SP 1 into the CD. I wanted to go with the restore because I don't have to install all the drivers and some of the programs that I use. The restore only installs the basics so I didn't get stuck with stuff I don't use (unlike when it was new).

I've also tried to registry modification. I will try again. Thanks for the suggestions. :O)