XP Start Menu - Customize the commonly used programs?

Eck

.user
Alright, so here's a pic of my start menu. The area of the shortcuts to the commonly used programs, such as AIM, Word, and notepad in mine -- is it possible to put what you want in there? Or arrange them even? So far I haven't been able to figure out if there is a special folder that contains those shortcuts or anything. Then again, I haven't looked hard. If possible, I would like to put my "Downloads" shortcut in there, as opposed to the upper "pinned" region. Not a big deal I know, but I would also like to customize the lower area as well. It's gotta be possible.

You can drag Icons to the upper part of the list till it just over takes the one blow it

what zeke said is the easiest way. Just drag the icons you want to use .. You can also set the number of icons to 0, this will get rid of the list below them ..

Zeke's idea is best because the area of shortcuts below the separator is dynamic. Those are your recently accessed programs, and I think you'd find that those change if you start opening random applications all of a sudden. I was a hardcore XP tweaker for a couple of years, and I don't know of anything you can do to make that area static without seriously modifying the whole GUI.

Johnny said:
what zeke said is the easiest way. Just drag the icons you want to use .. You can also set the number of icons to 0, this will get rid of the list below them ..

OK, I must be retarded but I cannot drag my "Downloads" folder down into the lower part of the menu. I'm trying to stick it below the AIM shortcut...

muzikool said:
Zeke's idea is best because the area of shortcuts below the separator is dynamic. Those are your recently accessed programs, and I think you'd find that those change if you start opening random applications all of a sudden. I was a hardcore XP tweaker for a couple of years, and I don't know of anything you can do to make that area static without seriously modifying the whole GUI.

Ahh.... so it's not possible then. Alrighty.

Well, if the point is to have your icons there permanently, then it can be done by eliminating the recently used programs menu from the Start Menu. Right-click the taskbar, choose Properties, click Start Menu tab, click Customize. Take the number down to 0 and then you have that blank real estate to add whatever shortcuts you want. Just drag them there.

muzikool said:
Well, if the point is to have your icons there permanently, then it can be done by eliminating the recently used programs menu from the Start Menu. Right-click the taskbar, choose Properties, click Start Menu tab, click Customize. Take the number down to 0 and then you have that blank real estate to add whatever shortcuts you want. Just drag them there.

what he said. for your "Downloads" folder, you may need to create a shortcut to the Downloads folder for this to work. i dont think you can move an actual folder there because it thinks you are moving the entire folder there which you cannot do.

Most cases when you move the folder there it automatically creats the shortcuts. It should do that anyhow ..

If all you want is easy access to several programs, why not create quick launch shortcuts?:suprised:

muzikool said:

Pure genius. Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Ah, if I had a quarter for every time someone called me a genius...

Anyone have an extra quarter so I can buy a Coke? :p

Glad that will work for you, Eck. :)

Are you wanting to add those shortcuts permanently below the IE and Outlook icons? If so, right click on the shortcut you want to place there then select Pin to StartMenu. Or to remove it, right click and select remove from list.

As far as I know, you cant customise the lower part.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back