XP SP1a and JVM

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Rootz, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Rootz

Rootz Guest

I saw MS issued another version of XP Service Pack 1 named 1a after the Sun Java latest agreement.
    The SP1a, correct me if I'm wrong, is SP1 without MS Java Virtual Machine.
    Now I already have SP1 installed and I know MsJVM is full of bugs and rather useless to me so I'd like to remove it...
    What could I do? I mean I guess I won't remove JVM if I install SP1a over SP1...
    Does anybody know how to trash that VM from XPSP1 systems?
  2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

I dont belive its possible to totally remove VM (atleast yet or without SPing to a) but if you access "Set Program Access and Defaults" you can disable it and instruct windows to use SunJava instead.

%SystemRoot%\system32\control.exe appwiz.cpl,,3

That will take to to the right module in CP.

p.s VM isnt that bugged just a little unsecure at times :)
  3. ironguy

ironguy Guest

Use Sp1a

I installed SP1a last night and it basically removes MS JVM, at least it stops it from working. I then went to SUN and downloaded Sun Java. I didn't bother to check if MS JVM was still lurking somewher, I just know that after the update I know longer had Java internet pages working.
  4. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

I guess it was to be expected that it would remove it, if not disable it.

Interesting to know :)
  5. Majin

Majin DBZ - Yes its in me!

well you can always try googleing around to see if a standalone copy of msjavavm is still lurking about on the net ...i know i kept my copy of it safe on cd :) might return function of java pages to normal again.
  6. Jahya

Jahya Guest

sp1b will include sun java. i'll wait for that.

Read it all here.