XP Sp1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Heeter, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Do I really need SP1?

I have Xp Home right now, running great. Why would I need Sp1?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thanks.

Heeter

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well it fixes 120+ problems/flaws in the OS. Updates features and is generally an update that should be done as its provides all of the security fixes and stuff. But its up to u if u want to install it. I would suggest that u do.

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

4. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

thanks yoyo.
    I got this from it:
    Q317751 MS Explorer.exe Process Uses Many CPU Cycles When Windows Is Idle

so the problem with my CPU usage is from XP not the processor itself!

5. Heeter

Thanks for the replies!!

Will I be at MS's mercy like the XP corporate version once I install this SP1? Does anyone know if it packs spyware from MS like WMP? Thanks in advance. Sorry I am new with this SP1 thing, just been hearing alot of bad things from the corporate version.

Heeter

6. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Also from a front page story that ran on Aug 26th:

Microsoft has released details of the changes being made in Windows Product Activation (WPA) with WinXP Service Pack 1. As expected, SP1 will fail to install if either of "two well-known pirated product keys" has previously been used to activate the system, and such systems will also be denied access to Windows Update. But the changes will have a far wider impact than this, as Microsoft appears to be trying to cover all currently known holes in WPA security.

7. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

sorry if off-topic: Jewelzz you talk about 2 known product-keys. I know 1 of them, the devils own FCKGW.... But what about the second key. Which key is that, how can i recognize that one.

8. Heeter

Since my XP Home is a very legit version, my worries about getting Sp1 will be none. Sounds like I, prsonally, actually need it to fix some XP holes... Thanks for the input.

Heeter

9. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Im using a legit XP Home too, so I can rest easy. But my system has never caused any problems, guess Im lucky.. or just too good!! lol ;)

10. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

Maybe it's yours! hehe! joking.
    see this site http://www.windowsxp.nu/

the two keys FCW and the another one are known..you need to know the UNKNOWN cd keys that might not work!

11. engel59

engel59 Guest

Is there any spyware?
    When I installed an earlier version of SP1, Ad-aware found a spyware program or link in my registry.
    I don't remember what the program/link was.
    I went into the registry and deleted it and that was that.
    Will the final release have spyware?,I don't know, but I will be ready for it.

12. Plexapotamus

Plexapotamus Guest

damn, thats the one I have...

[​IMG]