xp slow browsing on nt 4 domain

W

waldoss

We have upgraded (clean installs) some computers to XP connecting to a 4.0 domain.

Everything works well but slow browsing to network shares on servers and

workstations -- sometimes takes up to 30 seconds. This only occurs when first

connecting to a share. Then it works well until the machine is restarted or isn't used

for awhile. We are not using DNS for name resolution but are using WINS. All TCP/IP

tools I have tried work well with no errors and name resolutions works fine. Do you

have any ideas?

Thanks

First of all, Network browsing works by broadcasting. I would sudgest you install the NWLink NetBios and NWLink IPX/SPX/ NetBios Compatible Protocols. Disable NetBios over tcp/ip so it only works on your lan. This will allow you to quicly recognize remote shares from older domains. These protocols are not installed by default. This should help out.

Originally posted by ignipotentis
First of all, Network browsing works by broadcasting.

Not true. That is what wins does.

Windows XP does not use wins real well. Try setting up a dns server. It doesnt have to be on windows, it can be a linux box etc

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back