xp shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by rovit, Jan 12, 2002.

1. rovit

rovit Guest

Can someone tell me why my copy of xp takes a very very long time to shut down or re-boot. All previous windows such as 98 and millenium have shut down as normal but xp on the same system seems to hang but does eventualy switch off after a while.
    I have the home edition and thought that it was just xp but I installed the professional edition for a friend the other night and his shut down speed is very quick.
    Jetway 663as pro motherboard
    512 mb memory
    Duron 800
    Sb live value
    32 mb tnt2 m64
  2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Have you tried all the various shutdown tweaks around this site? there are a few tweks like changing the amt of time XP waits to kill an app as it is shutting down and stuff like that, there is a article in the guides sections on how to improve start up and shut down that you might want to take a look at :)
  3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I can't find anything on here to do with speeding up shutdown, any chance pointing me directly to it...please:) :cool: :)
  4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

try this

open regedit

then change waittokillservicetimeout to a lower number like 3000 or 4000...that way xp will wait less time before killing services as it shuts down :)
  5. rovit

rovit Guest

To Qumahlin

The edit registry trick seems to have worked and shutdown time has speeded up greatly.
    Many thanks