XP shut down

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DaveG, Apr 20, 2002.

1. DaveG

DaveG Guest

Hi all, I have XP pro - when I go to shut down through start menu, XP goes through and saves settings and then through the apparent shut down process and then - windows starts up all over again - without any intervention from yours truly.
    It's like the perpetual motion machine, I shut it down and it starts up again - is this a conspiracy or wha? Has any one else struck this?
  2. G|ass

G|ass Guest

This has happened to me on a machine running Windows 98 a while ago. Never found out why it did that. I think it was something with the PC itself, not the OS. Maybe you want to go through the BIOS and make sure everything is how it should be.
  3. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

Hi, Just a thought>> If you have Norton Systemworks2000,2001 or Norton Virus Scanner running on your system, turn it off before shutting down. This was happening to me and when I turned off the Virus scanner the unit shutdown correctly. The Virus Scanner will restart the next time you turn on computer.
  4. tomsxp1

tomsxp1 Guest

5. westy1

westy1 Guest

If XP detects a problem when it shuts down it re starts itself to try and repair it, do a search on this site the question has been answered many times.