XP Reinstall Help Needed

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Freakzilla, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Freakzilla

Freakzilla OSNN Addict

For some reason (and I don't know why) over the last few weeks my XP Pro has become very very slow so I am thinking about reinstalling XP and applying the tweaks etc. which are documented in another thread on this website. I have 2x 20GB HDD. I have a 5GB Partition which contains XP/Anti Virus/Firewall etc. (What I term as "System" apps) and the other 15GB has games/P2P software etc. on. The other 20GB HDD is used for downloads off the Internet. If I reinstall XP will all my games etc. still work without having to reinstall them? I only ask because of registry entries which will be wiped when I reinstall XP.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

If you just do a repair of XP then you will not need to reinstall any of the apps. Just boot to the XP CD and do the repair. If that does not solve whatever problem you are having then you would be better off just reformatting the partition with XP on it and doing a clean install.

3. Freakzilla

Freakzilla OSNN Addict

So if I reformat and do a clean install then I will have to reinstall all my applications on the 15GB partition?

4. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

probably, since the registry will be wiped out

5. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Yes, if you reformat you will have to reinstall all of your applications.

6. Freakzilla

Freakzilla OSNN Addict

Thanks. I thought I would have to. Bugger!!!!!!