Xp Ram

S

smeghead

How Much RAM does XP support I tried to install 512mb ram and 256mb ram. But it started to come up with blue screen errors. can anyone help.:(

XP will support as much as your motherboard can take. Check you m/b manual for correct installation parameters.

Blue Screen Error is usually caused by a bad stick of ram, or a bad ram socet on the mother board. (the latter is more rear)

Borrow some ram from a frien and try. If that fails. Try swapping MB.

no, the former is more rare...usually if there are bad sectors on your ram, your computer will bypass them and not use them...if there's a bad socket on your mobo, you bios will prolly not detect there is a ram stick in there and just pretend there isnt so it dont matter...

Well, I haven't experienced trouble with ram myself. But I've read quite a bit on this forum. And it seems, when XP gives off strange BSODs, most of the time ram is suggested source. (and often it is)

smeghead, if your only question is how much ram XP supports then Lonman answered that (I think the absolute max is 3Gig but it could be higher).

If your real question is why you got a blue screen after adding ram then you need to provide more info to assist people in helping you.

Did XP run fine until you tried to add additional memory? What are the specs on the memory modules that you are using? Does the BIOS accurately recognize the memory? What are the exact error msgs that you are getting from Windows? The more detailed info you provide the easier it is for people to try to help you.

Originally posted by jw50
smeghead, if your only question is how much ram XP supports then Lonman answered that (I think the absolute max is 3Gig but it could be higher).

First post, hi all, XP supports 4GB but most mobos can only handle 2GB of memory, XP puts rest on pageFile.

Originally posted by smeghead
How Much RAM does XP support I tried to install 512mb ram and 256mb ram. But it started to come up with blue screen errors. can anyone help.:(

My guess is your chipSet can't handle different sized sticks . . .

RAM

I have discoverd That the 512 mb of RAM I was installing was faulty so i have sent it back for a replacement. :)

This is probably late now but I had a BSOD with XP which was down to bad RAM. I built myself a P4 system and at first I thought the MOBO was buggered. Low and behold the second board produced the same errors so I then looked at RAM which proved to be the fault.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back