XP Question for someone out there

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by XpGuy1, Nov 21, 2002.

1. XpGuy1

XpGuy1 Mindless Poster

I have 3 seprate log ons on my machine using xp home and I'd like to take away the access that 2 of the log ins have to INTERNET EXPLORER. I have one adult admin account and 2 child accounts. We also have a DSL connection thru a lynksys router (hence always on) What i would like to do is disable the childrens accounts as far as access to the IE? Can this be done?

Thanks

2. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Access to IE or access to IE settings?

If you want to deny access to IE, then here's an ideas that are untested, but may work:

There is a free tweak program called FreshUI that you can get here:
    http://www.freshdevices.com/register.html

It will let you lock out certain program so that they cannot be run.

Another method is to change the security settings for the IE program so that it cannot be run ("executed") on your children's accounts. This is done by right clicking on the Internet Explorer executable and selecting properties then going to the security tab and customizing the security settings.
    IE is located here: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

There is one other problem to all of this. IE and Windows Explorer are integrated. There is an option, in FreshUI to separate IE and Windows Explorer into two separate processes, but supposedly it's only for Windows 9x, however, it seems like it works in XP:
    Windows Interface -> Explorer Interface Settings -> Explorer/Shell as Separate Process

After doing all that, (you may want to restart). See if you can launch IE. Also, open up windows explorer and see if it lets you go to websites. Open up My computer and try a windows address as well.

If you've confirmed IE doesn't work, you may also want to remove the IE icon from the Desktop and from the Start Menu.

After telling you all this, there also may be other solutions.

You could install a software firewall on your system and set it up so it blocks all internet traffic. However, it would have to be a firewall that cannot be changed when on a limited XP acount, and you would also be forced to make sure it does not launch on your XP account (simply remove it from the startup which will require a little registry tweaking). Norton Internet Security MIGHT be able to do all this, but costs money. You could also see if the free version of Zone Alarm can do this or perhaps another free firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall or Outpost or Sygate.

Another solution would be to get a internet filter. Which one to pick all depends on how well you want it to filter the internet.

3. XpGuy1

XpGuy1 Mindless Poster

Thanks,

I think what i want is to stop IE for internet use on my 2 child accounts and to keep it on my adult account. They have access to AOL on a limited basis ..(aol allows you to set time limits) when there time is up you can't get on AOL but with the dsl connection always on you can pop right onto to the internet. its not so much a content thing moreso just not allowing access to the "FULL" internet thru IE they are able to when there access to aol isn't working to just click on the IE icon and go right to the net..

4. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

/me thinks mean bad parent;)

/me thinks his parents is always trying 2 get him off the net when all he wants 2 do is play:D

5. Kevin Ar18

There is a problem, however. You will be unable to block FTP, IRC, Instant Messenger Programs, online games, etc... just by stopping them from launching IE. In addition, they could download another browser like Mozilla and get on the internet that way (even with a limited account).

Here's a question. Does the AOL account go through Dial-up? aka is it a separeate (physical) connection from the DSL connection?
    If so, there may be ways of getting the DSL connection only to work on your account (or locking them out of it on theirs), but that is beyond what I know.

6. XpGuy1

XpGuy1 Mindless Poster

No everything goes thru the dsl connection. I understand about ftp irc im and stuff and even downloading Mozilla.. they really only us the IE when there time is up on the AOL. I know i could be wrong but they might not be smart enough nor would they want me to find out they have downloaded another browser either. I know i could be wrong but the one account belongs to my Sisters kid who comes over from time to time the other is my daughter and she is AOL literate and nothing else. Disabling or deleting the IE icon would probably be enough to deter them for the time being.

7. jonocainuk

jonocainuk Guest

another alternative could be to disable the LAN connection and have a shortcut on your desktop, yet not have one on your kid's desktops. that would stop them from getting on (unless they know how to re-enable it?)

that way you can enable it when you need it, and disable it when you dont... although does that disable it for all users? (someone else shine some light on that please?)

8. Kevin Ar18

If you want, there's a way to block Mozilla's website.