XP Pro to Win2K Domain connection problem

sean

OSNN One Post Wonder
Ok, let me see if I can explain this. I have a network of about 30 PC's.I have Win2K Server as a domain server. Until now all the client machines have been 98 or 2000 Pro. I put my first XP Pro client on the network and I am having connection problems. I can log on the domain fine at first. Once logged on I have access to all appropriate PC's on the domain. However, after I install new programs or let the XP machine set idle for a while I lose my connection to the domain. I can still see all the PC's on the domain, but I have no access to them. For instance I have a PC named Digital4 on the network. When I try to connect to it I get the hourglass for about a minute, then a box pops up wanting a username and password. I shouldn't need to enter this.When I enter it I get an error message "You might not have permission to use this network resource." I know I have permission because I had access to that PC earlier.

Now, I found a way around this but it is a pain of a process. I go to control panel\system\computer name\change. I then change from domain to workgroup.
On reboot I have to log on as "administrator" even though the user is an administrator. Once booted I change back from workgroup to domain. I reboot and log in as the user and once again have full domain access until I install a program or let the PC set idle. I can log off or reboot and log on as the user after I lose the connection. At logon I get no errors and it appears that I have logged on the domain but I don't have access. I do not have any of these issues with the 98 or 2000 machines. I have two XP machines and both do the same thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back