xp pro + sp1+ logon screen=problem

• Thread starter mafiafromrussia
  • Start date
Originally posted by mafiafromrussia
i'm not sure what Generic MicroSquish Boot Screen is, if it that thing when u just boot up your computer and it shows that balck screen with xp writen on it? if that then no, i have my costume thing, it was some cia thing there. or fbi. and yea i think i'll have to try to reinstall it some how or something,

Yep, that's the one i'm talking about. :(

Good Luck.

That's why I am NOT gonna install SP1... NO WAY.

crap this sux, well as i said i'm *looking* for my cd now then gona get the sp1 again. and try to fix everything, one question though.
i can extract xp pro to HD, then extract SP1 into the same directory. and burn it to cd. that will give me XP PRO SP1 everything updated?

then run the command:

C:\XP\XP-SP1.EXE -U -X:C:\XP\XP-SP1

this command however depend on where and what folder you used, the "C" in this case refers to the letter of your hard drive
the "XP" refer to the name of the folder you use which contains your sub-folders(cd-root, xp-sp1- xp-boot)
check your drive letters, folders and sub folders for the correct path of the command.

Just manually extract your SP1, right click on the SP1, extract all and create a new folder name it to xp-sp1 and extrat it there.
good luck. This is just a command to extract your SP1.

ok fine, **** this **** . i'll just format the whole thing tomorow.

well i managed to install another copy or xp with my non working xp, then i copyed whole windows folder from working to not working xp, still doesnt work. so tomorrow i'll just format everything. and be happy with it. cuz i'm also gona do a network soon so it will be better with fresh system. so i'll just back up everything i need and get it over with

And don't tweek anything until ya got SP1 installed and running well. Or don't install SP1 at all. :)

well i'll try to install sp1 first thing when i finish installing xp, but if that dont work again, there wont be any sp versions at all on my computer. i'll only install then new windows whenever it comes out. this is just too boring to reinstall windows all the time, and nothing interesting on tv aswell.

I have just found the solution to all your problems.

1. Boot of your windows xp installation cd;
  2. Let it load up the main install screen
  3. press r for recovery console
  4. select a different keyboard layout it you need (otherwise wait)
  5. Select you the installation of windows that you wish to repair. (You will prob want c:\windows)
  6. enter a password if prompted (Its your administrator one, that you entered in setup)
  7. type in fixboot /rebuild (i think this is it other wise type in fixboot /? to get the command)
  8. it will scan your hard drive for windows installations
  9. select the one that you want to repair
  10. Enter a Name Like - Microsoft Windows XP Professional - SP1 so that you know the right one to use.
  11. In Options enter "/fastboot" (no quotes)
  12. reboot
  13. a list will come up asking you to select an operating system to boot from
  14. select the one you just made
    [/list=1]

If all goes well, you should be able to boot all the way into windows, with the new kernel.

Now all we have to do is remove the old boot screen from the list.

To do this is simple
    1. Press the windows key and then pause/break
    2. This will load the system properties.
    3. Click on the advanced tab
    4. Click on the settings button down the bottom under startup and recovery
    5. Under "System Start up click on edit - this will open the boot.ini
    6. Under Operating systems, delete any lines except for the one that you just added.

This has worked on two computers so far, hopefully it will for you :)

allright i'll try it, got nothing to loose. thanks

instead of using fixboot i would recommend using bootcfg

-stupid steve think think think

yea i used bootcfg, but i messed up something so it didnt work anyway, at the end i just deleted everything from boot.ini so no one would use computer for now :) . not untill i fix everything anyway. gona format when i get home from colege. but o far got 20 min to next class

well reinstalled my xp today, and with out doing anything at all to my system downloaded that xp 1 and installed it. i had the same problem as b4, just b4 it gets to login screen, everything goes black and then it just restarts. so **** sp1 i'll live with out it.

THE solution to this problem.

I'll admit that I was one of those users who thought all those warnings out there for custom boot screens not working in SP1 were just isolated incidents. Then I installed SP1, and tried a custom boot screen, and got a real scare when my system went into that eternal login loop. But I found out how to fix it, and wanted to post the solution for anyone else who makes the same mistake.

When you have this looping problem, you can't even boot into safemode. So what I had to do is boot with my xp cd, and go into the recovery console. You need the administrator password for this.

The console doesn't allow you to edit the boot.ini file, but it allows you to view it, so you can see which ntoskrnl file your boot.ini is pointing to.

From the recovery console, copy the unmodified ntoskrnl from the c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 directory to replace the one your boot.ini file is pointing to, and then restart the computer. This should fix the problem, and then if needed, you can edit the boot.ini file and shuffle the good files around to wherever they need to be.

Hope this helps y'all.

hmm if some one successuly boots using mgdodge method tell us plz? cuz i dont feel like formating all over just starting to get used to this windows again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back