XP Pro saves slow on SBS2000

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by yves, May 29, 2002.

1. yves

yves Guest

Hi,
    We have a SBS2000-server, with mixed clients : XP-Pro, Win2000, Win98 and Me. All clients have Office XP installed.

After a client opens for example 3 small Excell-files (30 kB) and makes some changes to 1 of these files, the saving of this file (or exiting Excell) takes at least 30 seconds. This behaviour only occurs on the XP-boxes.

We checked our network : we connected only the server and 1 XP-client on a switch (to avoid collisions, bad cables, ...) and the problem remained.

We then connected a second XP-client to the switch and shared the drive. We tried then saving the Excell-files to this shared drive on the other XP-client and this worked just fine.

So we think the problem originates from the interaction of XP and SBS2000. Does anyone have a clue on what can cause this problem?

Thanks.
    Yves

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

What is your RWIN on the server setup as? Windows XP uses QoS to autoplex the connection. Since XP uses a higher RWIN than most other OS's, they may be conflicting. I had a similar problem with my Samba server and my XP Machines. The XP machines would communicate fast, but communication between XP and Linux would be slower. To fix my problem, I simply moved the Samba server to another switch. This way XP uses default QoS over the uplinks (rather than turning QoS off).