XP Pro required activation for CPU

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by djmorgan, Nov 20, 2002.

1. djmorgan

djmorgan OSNN Addict

All I changed was the CPU and I had to reactivate - worst because had been activated before had to talk to rep voice and re activate.

Bit rough! I thought you could change a few more bits than just one. :mad:

2. djwhite

djwhite OSNN Senior Addict

I guess M$'s theory is that a CPU upgrade is major change, which it is, and hence needs reactivation

3. djmorgan

djmorgan OSNN Addict

:D :D took less time to do than swap a harddrive, oh well she was kinda cute on the phone...:p

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Technically (according to documentation) it should be 3 or more major pieces of hardware to change before re-activation. Unless it has changed since SP1

although i had to re-activate after changing just dvd-rom and hard-drive, shortly after i had it. So basically its anyones guess!

5. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I believe in Microsoft's system. Once other companies turn to similar systems, price on software will come down, because software theft will be less.

Hopefully.

6. Burpster

Burpster Guest

i'd really like to see what would happen if there was no piracy at all... i dont think the software companies would be all that quick to lower prices

7. madmatt

It's just like the candy that gets stolen from the store on the corner, causing the ower to raise the price, to offset the shrinkage.

Advancements in technology always cost more.

8. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well that makes since but the dream is just that a dream.

9. madmatt

I can dream.. =)

10. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

well madmatt u will be leaving in a dream then....LOL

i can bet my head and genitals that software companys aint gonna lower prices even soft. piracy ends...........and i have never seen a corner store owner raising prices because stolen candies......but have seen corner store owners raising prices cause providers raise the prices.....but the manufacturing process etc its still the same........oh yeah thats not stealing thats capitalism.......