XP Pro keeps freezing!

Roxio is okay. You just have to install the XP update from their site if you are trying to run Easy CD Creator (Basic or Platinum). Otherwise, when you try to shut down, your computer will reboot.

Do you think you really want a clone? Yes. I'm proudly using a Touch!

Ok, that didn't fix it. But, according to the Event Viewer, it's something called ACPI. This is what it gives me when I look at it and send it to MS:

Event ID: 4
Source: Acpi
Message: %2: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (%3), which lies in the %4 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Explanation: The system BIOS attempted to improperly access hardware resources concurrently with the operating system. This type of access cannot be synchronized and can cause system instability.

User Action: Contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS and follow the vendor's instructions for installation.

Currently, there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see

hmm

apparently your memory allocation on 1 of your pci cards is not correct, this is usally due to an old bios revision, you can try moving your pci cards around and see if that helps, most likely you need to do a bios flash update,or try switching to standard pc mode. your mobo is having conflicts with the acpi bios.......
it isnt assighning the correct memory ranges......

I think this is what might be causing mine to lock up. I looked into my error reporting log and it says "faulting application q317277.exe, version 1.16.118.0, faulting module ....

HOwever, I cannot locate a file by this name on my system nor can I find one with Hotfix as the name.

its an ms update

Originally posted by bmxjt
I think this is what might be causing mine to lock up. I looked into my error reporting log and it says "faulting application q317277.exe, version 1.16.118.0, faulting module ....

HOwever, I cannot locate a file by this name on my system nor can I find one with Hotfix as the name.

that exe ithink is a microsoft update, as they usally start with the letter Q. go to the microsoft knowledgebase, and type the name of that exe file in the search feild so u can find out which one it is.
you can then try to reinstall it, or go to add remove programs and
uninstall that paticular hotfix...;)
p.s if its not in add remove programs, go to your windows directory.(make sure you can view hidden files) you will see a bunch of uninstall folders, they should have somthing similare to
$NTuninstall q32323, ect....look for that certain hotfix and uninstall it......

ok. now I know what was cxausing the lockup. I think my mobo didnt care for my ULTRA ATA/100 card. I was using it so that my pc would recognize all 40 gigs of this new HD. I took the card out and hooked the 40gig HD up as prim slave with limitations ans when I look at the specs it still shows all 40 gigs (38 to be exact) intact. Maybe because I already had it partitioned. Oh well. Seems to be working just fine now.

Same Problem

I was having the same problem. I upgraded the motherboard and processor. After that, I was having the same ACPI error in the event viewer. Did the MS update, still froze. Flashed the BIOS, still froze. The only thing that worked was disabling ACPI in the bios and reinstalling windows. So far, no problems. That was about two weeks ago. Drastic messure, probably, but it worked. *laugh*

~Eich

Originally posted by Zerek
Try deinstalling the HotFix with the number "Q317277" in the name. It worked for me after trying darn near everything.

Yea it freezes on me also... after I installed the window updates..
Imma uninstall that one to see if it works :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back