XP-OEM or Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

After self building a computer, which is the best way of obtaining XP Pro, OEM or Upgrade, by that I mean not just price, but which is the most flexible, with regard to slipstreaming, or transferring to another computer if you sell or scrap the first one?

I feel that self build is being priced out as an option, as computer manufacturers appear to be selling computers for not much more than I would pay for a retail version of XP, which is very annoying. For example I can get a computer with XP and office software installed for £299, so the manufacturers must be getting the software for next to nothing.

I feel that Microsoft should sell XP for about £50 to everyone, which I am sure would be beneficial to them, as some of those who pirate copies would be more likely to buy a version. Also, they could drop all the other cheaper version that are available to teachers, students, OEM, Upgrades etc, and I doubt if the computer manufacturers are paying £50 for their copies at the moment.
  2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Red Sox Nation
    Just out of curiosity, what is the process of registering as an OEM builder?