Xp not recognising CD writer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Khayman, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

Xp doesn't seem to recognise my CD writer. It works and everthing, i use Nero and CloneCD with ease. but i can't use the built in drag and drop recorder and on the properties of the drive there is no recording tab

i have a traxdata cdrw8432

2. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Pop into Administrative Tools and check that your "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" is active. If it is active, then you have a problem !!

3. Khayman

it wasn't on (but i could still burn using nero, even though it says it can't burn if its not on) so i started it, but still nothing, no recording tab. i changed the startuptype to automatic and restarted but it didn't start when it came back up, so i started it again, but still nothing

4. Santamanne

Santamanne Guest

I have a problem with nero, it thinks that my cd writer isn't a writer. I can select it as a reader, but not writer.. duh =/

-Sand-

5. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

Remove the "cd burning" update Q309691, or something like that, reboot then go to MS and get the update again...

Problem solved...

6. Khayman

God damn it Gump, your a god damn genuis!

it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. westy1

westy1 Guest

WHAT DID GUMP SAY ???????

8. Jazzgirltx

Jazzgirltx Guest

I'm having the same problem. I notice there is a new updated Q309691 file on M'Soft's update site. I went to uninstall it and it gave me a popup that said a lot of programs wouldn't work if I uninstalled it so I backed out. Is it really safe to uninstall?

Jazzgirltx

9. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

MiseryQ's suggestion was to uninstall it and then reinstall it Jazzgirltx... give it a go and let us know if it fixes your problem.

10. Jazzgirltx

Jazzgirltx Guest

I just uninstalled and reinstalled it. Here is a more descriptive write-up of the problem. I have been using the XP copy utility to back up files, much as I used to use InCD. (XP don't like InCD). BTW, my writer is a Plextor 12/10/32A CDRW. Anyway, I was trying to back up some files and the window that comes up telling you to insert a CD in the drive insists there is no disk in the drive. I even tried several brand new disks just in case something had damaged the disk I'd been using. The only thing I know that might have changed something is the update I did a couple of days ago with CloneCD. Before that I didn't have a problem. I posted on the CloneClinic forum but no replies. Any other suggestions??? Help???

Adding a note here: I have no problem using Nero or CloneCD.

11. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

It sounds like you found your own solution... Uninstall CloneCD... If it doesn't work by just uninstalling it then use system restore to restore your system to a date before you installed it.

12. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

I use Clone CD I don't believe it it'll cause this problem...

It is safe to remove that update then reinstall it... I don't know what the warnings about, usual MS BS, some of them have nothing to even do with the burner...

Who's Gump... I did'nt even see a member named "Gump"...

13. Jazzgirltx

Jazzgirltx Guest

Okay...I removed CloneCD completely including all the registry entries. Still can't use the copy utility. Any other suggestions??

14. Khayman

it is safe to remove it, i did. either dl the install file it before removing it then reinstall it straight after rebooting. or go the normal windows update after rebooting

15. Jazzgirltx

Jazzgirltx Guest

:) Thanks for everyone's help. I did get it working. I tried everything suggested. I finally went to the drive properties and disabled CD recording and re-enabled it. Its working fine now. Don't know why it wasn't working before. I'll watch to see if it happens again.

Thanks all!

Jazzgirltx:D