XP .msstyles and .themes file association went kookoo...

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by Kuja, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

.msstyles and .theme files used to just open by themeselves, straight into the Desktop/Themes selection window.... now it gives me that "What do you want to do?", window..... with 2 options..... look it up on web, or find a program to open it...

Does anyone know how to restore the file association? :S.

2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Not sure, but I can tell you what the registry keys that should be relevant here read on my computer:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\msstylesfile\shell\open\command
    type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL%SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Appearance /Action:OpenMSTheme /file:"%1"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\themefile\shell\open\command
    type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
    %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:"%1"

3. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

ve-damned xp...... anyways. didnt work, now it just says it cant find the file i just double clicked on.

Thx for trying to help. :)

could you try exporting them as .reg's, and posting them here? unless, thats against the forum rules.. :S

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Ok, let's try it this way. Just change the extension of the attached file to .reg. You have backed up the original state anyway, haven't you?

5. Kuja

Kuja OSNN Addict

YES!!!!! HAHAh, it worked... thanks.

6. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Assuming you have still got the files in Windows/Resources/Themes, go to "Folder options. "file types" in My computer.
    YOU need to reassociate the Windows Visual style and Windows Themefiles to run under Window Shell common.dl