XP Memory Tester

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mikemacd, May 10, 2002.

1. mikemacd

mikemacd Guest

Can anyone recommend a memory tester for Windows XP? I've been getting alot of blue screen "STOP" messages referring to win32k.sys, usbport.sys w/ DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL etc. Could it be a bad memory module or IRQ settings maybe, let me know.

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

The best way to track down the bsod is with the stop code. What's the first set of numbers right after the word Stop:? The numbers in brackets () aren't that important.

3. mikemacd

mikemacd Guest

Here's the first one STOP: 0x8000000e

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Did you copy it down correctly? Stop codes are typically prefixed with a '0x??????.' I've tried prefixing the one you gave myself and haven't come up with anything.

5. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

6. mikemacd

mikemacd Guest

Ok sorry 0x0000008e is the right one. I'm checking the Microsoft link you gave me now. Thx for the help.

7. mikemacd

mikemacd Guest

Should the "Setup cannot copy the file Setupdd.sys" be on my system.

8. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

No, that's just saying that it's possible to get that message with that stop code during setup.

9. mikemacd

mikemacd Guest

Ok, Here's two more I found that were reported in Event Viewer. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 & 0x1000008e

10. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I'd suggest getting the memory issue fixed before you troubleshoot too much further... I think the other problems may be attributed to it... not certain, but it's a good bet.

11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

12. mikemacd

mikemacd Guest

Thx for all the tips, I'm looking into it now. I will try the memory test you recommended.