XP Media Center on MSDN!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by hawk, Feb 11, 2003.

1. hawk

hawk Guest

Hey all,

Just a heads up that MSDN's website now has XP's Media Center for download. I am downloading it right now and I am wondering if it is stupid to install it on an XP installation that seems perfect. Will I have video problems since I only have a TNT2? Please respond.

Thanks,

2. hawk

hawk Guest

someone out there?

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I don't think you'll have problems ... but features like the TV tuner won't work unless you have the hardware for it (like a TV Tuner card)

And BTW, Windows XP Media Center Edition installs as a separate operating system. It's not an add-on for XP.

4. hawk

hawk Guest

I can install it over my existing XP without any problems right? Like all of my settings will carry through or do I have to do a clean install? Do you know which video cards actually work with MCE (for TV tuning)?

Thanks a bunch.

5. NetRyder

Yes, you should be able to install it over XP. Let me try to find a list of TV tuner cards that work with it....

6. NetRyder

7. hawk

hawk Guest

Hey thanks for helping, the webpage didn't have a list of cards, unless I missed something. Do you think you could find something? I was thinking about the ATI 8500dv because it is a TV-tuner. Do I really need a TV-tuner for using the MCE's Tv-guide or will TV-out suffice? As you can see, I don't really have a clue about about TV capabilities in graphics cards because I have made do with a shabby TNT2 but for what I have needed it for, it has done the job just fine. Thanks a bunch for your help!