XP keeps installing drivers.

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
I'm trying to put in the new nvidia drivers but each time I uninstall the old ones and reboot XP keeps putting them back in. It's a right pain in the rear end. Is there anyway of stopping XP doing this so I can put the new ones in?

I've tryed that but XP keeps re installing the windows nvidia drivers

I don't uninstall the xp driver because as you say upon reboot it reloads. I just load straight over the top of the xp driver. If I want to change drivers again that is the one to remove. XP will load its driver then I load the new over the top again.

I don't think it is a big deal to install over the default XP drivers. Just make sure that any outside drivers are uninstalled, of course.

Melon

Make sure show hidden files and folders is on in folder options.

goto the inf folder which is in your windows folder. :)

Now delete any files starting with nv

Leave the files in ya recycle bin so ya can restore them if anything goes wrong.

Now uninstall the drivers and reboot. Windows will detect the card as a normal VGA card. It will ask for the drivers, just cancel that and run the detonator xp installer that you downloaded, wait for the detonators to install then restart windows.

This Should work!!! ive done it on xp home and xp pro.

:D

Is there a way to disable plug and play on that device...Im haing the same problem with my ATI Radeon video card. Will the detonator work with my Radeon drivers?

like above, goto ya inf folder and delete any files starting with ati

I think this should work, but i dont have an ati to try it out :)

oh and the detonator drivers are for nvidia cards not ATI

This is one big example of why microsoft are pretty bad. They just dont think ahead.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
I don't uninstall the xp driver because as you say upon reboot it reloads. I just load straight over the top of the xp driver. If I want to change drivers again that is the one to remove. XP will load its driver then I load the new over the top again.

exactly xp needs the dam defalt driver 2 load so u can load up the new driver!!!! xp cant boot without a video card driver!!! :p when it boot up jus put on the new driver + reboot + it will be using that 1. i wouldn't recomend deleting the defalt driver because u'll be hard pushed 2 do it as well as screwed if it goes wrong with the new driver.

you could try booting into safe mode, removing all Nvidia drivers, then reboot, F8, enable VGA mode, install new drivers, restart..

i told you what to do. Just delete the files starting with nv

Windows will use its default VGA driver and will never use its bulit in Detonator Drivers cus you have just deleted them.

Ignore Henyman.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back