XP home, pro or corp. ?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by luish, Dec 28, 2002.

1. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

My Mom received a new Pc with XP installed and didn't receive any cd-key or installation disk of windows XP.
    Now, how can i check which version of XP she has installed ?

Thanx !

2. Jmtyra

Jmtyra Guest

Press the windows key (between the ctrl and alt key) and 'pause/break' at the same time.

That will show you either XP home or XP pro.

If that is a home system with a legitimate copy of XP then you can be 99.99% sure that is not a corp copy/install of XP. Besides, the only difference between the xp pro and xp corp is that you don't have to active the xp corp.

Thanks! :)

3. TCi

TCi Guest

Just go to the controlpanel and open the system tab.... on the first screen it says which version it is....
    or you can just hit the windows button + pause/break (hotkey).

4. Jmtyra

Jmtyra Guest

On a second note--your mom REALLY needs to contact whoever she got the pc through/from and get some type of backup cd.

REASON: She is really out of luck should she get a nasty virus or should a HD go out, because she will be paying about $100 for a new OS.

SOLUTION: Make your mom get a backup/restore cd that has XP on it. By law she is supposted to get a copy with her computer purchase.

Thanks! :happy:

5. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

It would be either Home or Pro...I doubt Corp.

Another way to tell is at the startup screen. The screen with the little "light bar" scrolling under where it says Windows XP. Look at that screen and it will say home or pro. The color of the "light bar" is different too. If I remember right, it is blue for pro and I think it is orange or something for home.

6. luish

luish OSNN Senior Addict

ok thank you for your help i checked and it says that it is a pro edition, i tryed to change her cd key (it is the FCK one ) and put my OWN xp pro cd key but windows does accept it why ?

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Green for home :)
    Er, if its the FCK key then its an illegal corporate copy of windows xp and you should take it back immediatly.
    And it wont accept your cd-key because its XP Corp and not XP Pro, also You can't put your own copy of XP onto another computer either, each copy can only be activated on one computer.

8. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Exactly, someone sold your Mom a machine with an illegal copy on it.