XP + GeForce4 + CS = Crash.

K

Kaila Yu

I had this problem a couple weeks ago, and I just started using windows 98. I killed my 98 and tried xp again, but it doesn't work. My problem is the neverending infinite audio loop in counter-strike and other games. On a side note: There is nothing wrong with my hardware. Windows 98 runs my card perfectly fine. I have a 350W power supply unit, updated bios, 4in1 drivers, nvidia drivers (same version that worked with 98 and the card is in good standing shape.) I don't get any overheating etc. To troubleshoot in XP, what I did was take out all of my cards except for my video card. I played a game, left it on for about 20 minutes or so, and it just crashes. I really have no idea what's going on. I tried changing my drivers, but no use. I tried using direct x 9 beta, 8.1, and i reinstalled my os three times within two days. I have turned off agp fastwrites, turned it on, and no use. I flashed my bios and updated. I used to have a GeForce2mx and it worked fine. When I upgraded, everything just started to crash....I have a feeling that this card isn't compatible with xp. I hope someone comes up with a solution. Please refrain from replying with comments because I am checking my email every 5 minutes and I dont want to check this post again for a comment. Thanks.

wow. well its the infamous audio loop. its been so long since ive posted this that ive degraded to windows 98. everything is now spiffy. :D or is it? :(

I beg to differ, there are no known fixes for the infinite loop error. I have tried all of the "fixes" but to no avail...I will soon too be downgrading to 98 i fear

well its the infamous audio loop

if there's a prob with an audio loop, it's your sound card, not video card.

there are known probs with some creative blaster sound cards and winxp.

look into that instead of video probs...

if you had posted the exact error message i am pretty sure there is a fix for it, especially if it is the problem that i think most people are having, with the exception that you are saying audio loop and not video loop, like the previous guy said you might have an audio problem.

why 98? why not WinME or 2000 Pro (like me!) :cool:

Win2k was the best op I have ever used......unlike WinXP Pro......I also had alot of problems with it so I went back to good ol 2000 and everything works great! Still have an NTFS file system, only without the bugs of XP :D

no offence to XP users by the way.....its a great os, its just not for me ;)

does the infinite loop error happen with win2k?
anyone heard of it happnin with that OS?
yea 2k is my favorite also, I have that on my test PC

not sure, but thats why it pays to buy name brand hardware and get good boards without all that built in hardware crap.

I have all the top o the line stuff (from 2 years ago) none of that integraded bs

ok cool, thats a good thing, by any chance did you buy any off brand hardware?

AV7-133 ASUS mobo
Athlon 1.0 gighz CPU
Gainward Gforce 4200 vid card
Soundblaster Live! sound card
Crucial 786 mgs pc-133 memory
Linksys nic card
Realtek Nic card
2 WD 40/20 gig 7200 rpm ATA/100 HD's

humm

alright i know this i work for dell tech and when they brought out the geforce 4 we started selling them and than all the sudden we get a 911 and boom microsoft has put a bug in windows xp that will not allow the usage of the geforce 4 due to the fact that nvidia will not get the device signing crap that microsoft asked for they didnt want to pay the money to get the little microsoft thingy on there box anyways well nvidia finally decided to do this and now you have to download the crit updates from microsoft all of the crit updates because they never told us which one is the one that does it and it should solve your problems also what slot do you have your sound card in if its a sound blaster live make sure it is not in the 4th slot also check your system for irq conflicts make sure that nothing is sharing with the video card as well as the sound card also you can try to disable anything that is onboard. try upgrading all of the hardware drivers for your system also call the manufacture of your motherboard and see how many volts your agp slot can handle i think the geforce 4 likes more than 1.5 and most boards cant handle more than 1.5 which would mean that the geforce 4 wont work on your system
or would give you problems unless you can overclock your agp slots vcore

WOW. Sure seems like you know what you're talking about. I'm going to try ONE more reinstallation. Thanks.

very well said wrcooper4, i didnt feel like writing all that, but i did learn 1 thing new outta your post, i never knew about that Nvidia - Microsoft problem, FORK OVER THE MONEY to fix your problems!!!

Ouch. Windows update...Well I updated everything I could. Even pulled out the sound card throughout the entire installation of xp and cs. Sucks to be me. Doesn't work. I still get the same damn audio loop crash. No blue screen or anything. It just loops over and over and over..

do u try cs forum?? mayb u can get some solution over there....
as i heard b4, there is some prob regarding halflife playing in xp....

Its weird. Its not just CS that crashes, there are other 3d games I play that crash such as ghost recon or gta3. Well CompUSA says that I have 14 days from date of receipt (6/26/02) to exchange/return with a 15% open box fee :( Sadly, tomorrow will be the day that I will have to return this card for store credit. IMHO I think that 15% is worth using XP rather than shi7y 98.

well, I have given up fighting with this issue. It has been abouta year sinse I first had the infamous loop and last night I lost the battle. I went to windows 2000, imho it is more stable and I forgot how quick it boots and shuts down...fairwell xp (sniff) i wil miss your pretty interface =[

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back