XP Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

Is the XP Firewall reliable enough? I also have a hardware firewall on my Modem/Router.

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Its of no real use to you. It can only block inbound communication requests and will let anything out. Since your behind a router inbound traffic is not an issue anyway. If you want control of what applications can access the Internet XP firewall is not enough at least until SP2 when outbound controls will be added.

3. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

and maybe a sandbox too if I can get in touch with anyone:rolleyes:

4. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

You have a bizarre obsession with sandboxing... and page-files :D

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

and women in thongs

6. lechtard

lechtard Guest

The outbound controll will probably be as crappy as the inbound ,, Try this - disconnect the router and hook directly up to the Internet. Now activate the firewall and go to www.grc.com and do the sheilds-up test. You will se just how useless the thing is .. I saw somwhere That M$ is partnering with Zone Labs to enhance the firewall within xp, how true this is I don't know, and how good it will be ?? we will have to wait and see ..

7. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

You can obtain "Stealth" results with the XP firewall enabled without a router.;)

8. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Indeed you do.

lechtard: Microsoft would not and can not include a fully featured firewall solution in Windows, the vendors who focus on security products for the end user this would sue them for doing so! It is intentionally basic but is better than nothing. There is nothing wrong with its inbound filtering capability's.