XP Firewall Log Reader (Very Cool)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mcbweb, Mar 2, 2003.

1. mcbweb

mcbweb Guest

I have seen several post on the web from other users stating they wish a tool was available for reading Windows Xp built in Firewall (ICF). I have also searched the web and was unable to find any such tool out their. So I decided to created one. The application, created with Visual Basic allows a user to read the built in firewall logs within Windows XP. I have attached a screen shot, and a zip file of the actual application. It is very straight foreword, and easy to use/read.

Please see attached image.

Link for Freeware version. Here

Thanks
    Rob

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Well you get a very warm welcome to the forums mcbweb. :D
    Can't wait to load that little creation of yours & see what it does. :cool:

3. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Nice!

4. mcbweb

mcbweb Guest

If the file isn't present the app will not run.

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

lol :rolleyes: That was it. Turned the logs on & away it went. Thanx. :)

6. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Fantastic! Dont use it ICF myself but will come in handy at some point im sure! :)

7. lechtard

lechtard Guest

is there a prog out there that will allow you to set rules and such to the xp firewall as well ???

I heard somewhere that M$ is going to be partnering with Zone LAbs to integrate Zone Alarm with the OS to make it more secure and also allow more options with the firewall, Basically the way it is now the xp firewall just sux .

8. kinda spiffy........... thanks :D

9. mcbweb

mcbweb Guest

Improved XP Firewall Reader / Logger

I have corrected the application.

I have also added detailed instructions on how to enable ICF and how to open / close specific ports. Configuration of ICF is simple.

Hope this helps.

10. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Very interesting .. I'll try it tommorow and watch my network friends are doing in their spare time .. :happy:

11. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

12. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

wow...nicely done

warm welcome to you mcbweb.

I'm interested in what you think of the xp firewall as it compares to the software firewalls like sygate, za, norton, kirio, etc, at blocking the incoming attacks

pre thanx incase I'm not around when you post

13. mechandler34

mechandler34 Guest

What if XP is installed on a drive other than C:? I tried to run it but it says file not found. Firewall is enabled and so is logging. It says something about my C: drive but that is another OS. XP is my D: drive. ;)

14. Darken

Darken Guest

thanx! :)

15. mofala

mofala Guest

manually browse a drive to find WINDOWS\pfirewall.log!

i have the same problem as mechandler34 except my operating system is on drive E! it would be great if u could use the application to manually browse a drive to find WINDOWS\pfirewall.log!
    nice application though!
    :)

16. Prelapsarian

Prelapsarian Guest

It looks good and it's a great idea... But no resizing? And perhaps some extra functions like export to HTML report? Some stats... Hehehe. Just kidding. :)

17. CapZap

CapZap Guest

Very nice little proggy. Thank you.

18. mcbweb

mcbweb Guest

Setting up Log file for ICF

You can set your log file to any drive you would like. Attached is a image displaying this ability.

Simply go into your TCP configurations and adjust the output file to the destination of your choice.

Hope this helps

19. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

I actually got the chance to give it a whirl yesterday, very nice work :) Beats reading the text log for sure.

20. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

Very nice mcbweb. What, if any, updates do you have planned for the future for this program? I know I'd use it. (I am now by the way... I ditched Zone Alarm to give this a chance.)