XP Defrag problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bornloser, May 13, 2002.

1. Bornloser

Bornloser Guest

Looking for some help with WinXP Pro defragmenter. When I try running it, the drive light on my floppy drive (A) stays on and my LS120 (B) is constantly being accessed. Even when I try defragmenter in safe mode, the drive light on B will flash about every 3 or 4 seconds. Anybody have any ideas?
  2. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Texas, USA
    I don't know why it is doing that. Have you tried a different defrag utility?
    Give Diskeeper a try (it's a better defrag utility anyway ;) ). You can try it for free. See if it helps.
  3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

New York
    I think Norton Speed Disk works great, that is if you are up to the investment (~$40 for SystemWorks).
  4. Bornloser

Bornloser Guest

Defrag problem

I thought XP defrag was a version of Diskeeper? I do have another defrag utility by Ontrack. I used that program and it seems like I started to have the XP problem afterward. I also do have Diskeeper 7 somewhere in this mess I call a desk.
  5. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

"I thought XP defrag was a version of Diskeeper?"

It basically is. The commercial version of Diskeeper shares a lot of the limitations of the built-in defragmenter:

- Requires 15-20% free space
    - May require more than 1 pass
    - May not consolidate free space (partition re-fragments faster)
    - Requires Admin privs
    - Doesn't defragment certain files

Ontrack's defragmenter isn't much better than the built-in defragmenter. It also lacks the ability to defragment certain files, etc...

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility and a competitor to Diskeeper, as a systems engineer in the support department.