XP Defrag problem

B

Bornloser

Looking for some help with WinXP Pro defragmenter. When I try running it, the drive light on my floppy drive (A) stays on and my LS120 (B) is constantly being accessed. Even when I try defragmenter in safe mode, the drive light on B will flash about every 3 or 4 seconds. Anybody have any ideas?

I don't know why it is doing that. Have you tried a different defrag utility?
Give Diskeeper a try (it's a better defrag utility anyway ;) ). You can try it for free. See if it helps.

I think Norton Speed Disk works great, that is if you are up to the investment (~$40 for SystemWorks).

Defrag problem

I thought XP defrag was a version of Diskeeper? I do have another defrag utility by Ontrack. I used that program and it seems like I started to have the XP problem afterward. I also do have Diskeeper 7 somewhere in this mess I call a desk.

"I thought XP defrag was a version of Diskeeper?"

It basically is. The commercial version of Diskeeper shares a lot of the limitations of the built-in defragmenter:

- Requires 15-20% free space
- May require more than 1 pass
- May not consolidate free space (partition re-fragments faster)
- Requires Admin privs
- Doesn't defragment certain files

Ontrack's defragmenter isn't much better than the built-in defragmenter. It also lacks the ability to defragment certain files, etc...

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility and a competitor to Diskeeper, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back