XP computer keeps loosing its connection to the network

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by John Smith, Jan 7, 2003.

1. John Smith

John Smith Guest

The XP computer keeps loosing its connection to the network. IT reconnects automatically and then it looses it again.IT has little red "X" marked next to mapped drives. Is it just a timeout function of XP, how can it be adjusted?

It did for a breif moment connect for 5mins, but was unanle to ping WinNt server, or see shared file.
  2. chris

chris Free to Fly

Is the XP firewall enabled? or any other firewall? this may be it as i have had problems with this affecting the connection to a network before
  3. Tinker

Tinker Guest

I had the same problem with a brand new Linksys BEFSR41 router, I returned it to the outlet store and got another one. All is fine...

4. WinXPMan

WinXPMan Guest

I had this same problem with xp and in 2000. The easiest way to fix it is to disable it, go into the network wizard, and setup up that connection for what is applicable to you. In example, I checked the setup that goes through a router to connect to the internet. Reboot and your problem should be fixed.
  5. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

Could you try another Ethernet cable?

I kept getting a disconnect message myself, but the connection only went down for a split second when the message popped up.
    Come to find out it was the ethernet cable I was using. I switched it with another one and now it works fine.
  6. John Smith

John Smith Guest

I checked the cable, and it was faulty. If you touched it slightly at the ethernet plug, it disconnected straight away. I've replaced the cable, and it works fine.

Thanks for the input, everyone.:happy:
  7. Tinker

Tinker Guest

Nice work John and Kevin.......

Gald it was a simple solution for you John......