XP computer keeps loosing its connection to the network

J

John Smith

The XP computer keeps loosing its connection to the network. IT reconnects automatically and then it looses it again.IT has little red "X" marked next to mapped drives. Is it just a timeout function of XP, how can it be adjusted?

It did for a breif moment connect for 5mins, but was unanle to ping WinNt server, or see shared file.

Is the XP firewall enabled? or any other firewall? this may be it as i have had problems with this affecting the connection to a network before

Originally posted by John Smith
The XP computer keeps loosing its connection to the network. IT reconnects automatically and then it looses it again.IT has little red "X" marked next to mapped drives. Is it just a timeout function of XP, how can it be adjusted?

It did for a breif moment connect for 5mins, but was unanle to ping WinNt server, or see shared file.

I had the same problem with a brand new Linksys BEFSR41 router, I returned it to the outlet store and got another one. All is fine...

:happy:

I had this same problem with xp and in 2000. The easiest way to fix it is to disable it, go into the network wizard, and setup up that connection for what is applicable to you. In example, I checked the setup that goes through a router to connect to the internet. Reboot and your problem should be fixed.

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
Could you try another Ethernet cable?

I kept getting a disconnect message myself, but the connection only went down for a split second when the message popped up.
Come to find out it was the ethernet cable I was using. I switched it with another one and now it works fine.

I checked the cable, and it was faulty. If you touched it slightly at the ethernet plug, it disconnected straight away. I've replaced the cable, and it works fine.

Thanks for the input, everyone.:happy:

Nice work John and Kevin.......

Gald it was a simple solution for you John......

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back