XP Compatible?

C

chronic

Ok...any input would be nice. I have been trying to install a 64mb PCI Geforce4. XP detects as not compatible. I install anyway then computer stops responding. Runs perfect in Win98. This is driving me nuts...Help please.

I had the same problem with my wife's computer, XP would not install with the video card (different video card), never did get it figured out, went and bought a different video card, problem solved.

what mb you got? can you update the bios? :confused:

Thanks for a response Iceman, I was feeling a little unloved on this forum. Mobo is and older ASUS MEW-AM(i know, i know) It was supposed to be Award BIOS but it's Phoenix 1.09 I've tried everthing to get the ID string but no luck. I'm sure flashing the BIOS wouldn't hurt but I can't find an upgrade to do it.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure it ain't going to work, I worked and worked on the wife's machine and never did get it to work.

best of luck, buy a different video card, the problem you got is u have to find a simple pci video card, nothing fancy.

good luck ;)

Any chance you can get ANY drivers installed before you get the lockup?

I installed all the latest drivers with no prob...it's just after I restart, it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes then stops responding completely. It did work great in win98 though.
Time to scrap everything I guess.

Well not so fast....(odd coming from me, being I'm the first to format)

Now, you said it works fine, is that 98 on the same PC?

If it is a different system, all that proves is that the video card is good....which is a good thing ;)

Have you tried a different set of Dets? May be a driver/MB issue.

Grinder...I actually uninstalled XP and installed the card again with win98(on same PC) Kicked butt. When I upgrade to XP again it was detected as non compatible. So it seems as if the card is fine and it's an XP issue...Hell i don't know i'm flippin' confused. I bought the card because it was supposed to XP compatible.

Thats what I cant understand, they are xp compat, I have a 4600, and have not had problem 1 with it.(using a asus MB too)

Did you try using the drivers that are on Micro$ofts windows update?

Personally I dont use them because I do get worse benchmarks with them, but If I were in you position, which I have been b4, I would try them see if you get the same sh*% and go from there.

Are you sure that that is what is causing it to lock up? and not an App that is running?

ctrl,alt,del, and see what is not responding.

The card is compatable, the MB ain't you are going to have flash that old motherboard. XP doesn't like bios on mb built before 2000.

I think your right Ice.....have you entertained any ideas on a new MB?

Yeah...actually I used the 28.32 from Nvidia...I think it's a mobo and XP issue too. It has to be.

Lol...hell yeah i've entertained the idea of a new motherboard. The one I have doesn't even have an AGP slot and it has the Intel integrated video.(11Mb) I can't even watch a damn 3d screensaver because I need at least 16 Mb.(pathetic). I didn't know enough when I bought this machine. Oh well lesson learned.

it might not be an XP and video card issue, it probably is a mb and video card issue more than anything else. that mb might not be able to handle that video card, this is of course my opinion. :eek:

hehe, well hell Chronic, let me know if you want any reccomendations......I have read alot of reviews ;)

I agree with you Iceman, thanks for the links. Thanks to both of you for your help. I think the time has come to build my own.

Well I build them all the time...so if you need me contact me on Icq or IM.

Good Luck.

hey Grinder I reccomend you box up your maching and send it to my house

Thanks Grinder...I just might do that.

I have a couple goodies ready and waiting.

WDC 120 GB HDD
Pioneer A04-DVD-R.

Which Mobo? There are alot to choose from.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back