Xp asking for file ?

M

Mav882000

I have just insatlled the NTFS patchxp.zip and it works great, thanks. However is there anyway to stop windows from asking me to replace the file with the old one, using the xp cd. Its a tad annoying.

any and all help will be appricated ta

when i was experiencing the same style problem with windows 98, i would search the registry for the filename. there was a dword value under a verify files section... unfortunatly i dont remember the names of the hives, and i dont run 98 at homeso i cant check for you. sorry. but, once the reference is deleted (back up registry first, as always), reboot, and see if it is gone. if so, there you go. hope this helps.

This is Themes realated so Dealer, Move this to themes and graphics and change subject to "after theme patch, XP asking for file?"

Originally posted by Mav882000
However is there anyway to stop windows from asking me to replace the file with the old one

ok

when the file protection error appears click cancel
you do NOT want to replace the file with the original

next you will be asked
do you want to keep this unrecognised file
click yes

that should be last you see of it

if the patch doesnt work you will need to delete the bak file it created
in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.bak
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\uxtheme.bak (hidden folder )

before trying again

:)

Thanks for the advise guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong part of the forum. doh. Ill have a look tomorrow. Btw i am running Xp, and i aint seen that option to keep the new updated file. hmm. ill c what happens next time. Aint happened yet for bout 2hrs hehe

TwoZigzagColt45 explained it to you. When xp wants to replace the hacked file click cancel. That's it.

thread moved...thanx for the heads up

oops...I copied it instead of moving it

hmm/me dare not delete the one in applications, as it might delete the one in graphics...

what to do?

/me leaves it up to an administrator

Well clicking cancel, and then saying yes to the updated file thing has no effect. It just keeps popping up all the time,esp when using my 3d modelling software (3ds max). A restart normally get rid of it, other wise its constant. So thats "not JUST IT" . Hmm looks like ki might have to replace it with the original.oh well

did you try deleting the .bak file
in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.bak
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\uxtheme.bak (hidden folder )

I know from experience
if you get wrong first time
it wont work again untill you have deleted the uxtheme.bak file

I just delete those, and ill give it a day to c if i can get through a days general use, with out it popping up. Thanks TwoZigzagColt45, u have been a great help

ta

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back