XP and script

Is this a cry for help or just a statement? If you want any help a proper description of the problem might help us (and you).

Login

We have a NT4 server running with Win98 on the clients. That's no problem, but we are also about to install XP on the clients instead, but we have to use the "net use" command in NT to map our drives. And we don't use profiles, just script to map the drives.

I have tried and tried and i don't know how i should do it without mapping the drives.

As it is now, we can't use XP, and that is a shame because i like it alot and all the students wants it.

Hoep U can help me....

If you are using WinXP Home Edition, you should be aware of the fact that it does not support logging on to a domain. To be able to do that you must use the Professional version.
If you are using Professional it should behave the same way as a Win98 client. Are you getting error messages or are the scripts running OK. I do not know any reason why mappings would not work.
If it's any good: here is the info from Windows XP Inside Out:

Command-Line Utilities for Managing Shared Resources

Some users prefer a terse command prompt to a wizard or even an MMC window. If you’re in that group, you’ll want to use Net.exe for managing resource sharing.

In the following sections, we describe only the most common Net commands (and their most common parameters) for managing network connections. This isn’t an exhaustive reference, however. You can get more information from online help or by typing net help command , replacing command with the word that follows Net in the examples. For example, to get more information about the Net Use command, type net help use. This provides more help than typing net use /?, which shows only the command syntax.

Net Share
The Net Share command lets you view, create, modify, or delete shared resources on your computer.

Viewing Share Information
Typing net share with no parameters causes the program to display a list of the shared resources on your computer, as shown in the following sample:

Code:
C:\>net share 

Share name       Resource                         Remark 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IPC$                                              Remote IPC 
D$               D:\                              Default share
C$               C:\                              Default share
print$           D:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers                                 
                                                  Printer Drivers

ADMIN$           D:\WINDOWS                       Remote Admin 
HyperSnap        C:\HyperSnap 
SharedDocs       D:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS 

LJ4000           LPT1:                 Spooled    HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS
The command completed successfully.

If you follow Net Share with the name of a local shared resource, it displays information about that share. For example, the command net share shareddocs displays the following:

Code:
C:\>net share shareddocs
Share name            SharedDocs 
Path                  D:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS 
Remark
Maximum users         No limit 
Users                 JAN                  CARL 
Caching               Manual caching of documents 

Adding or Modifying a Share
You can share the folder C:\Spreadsheets, for use by an unlimited number of users, and add the comment "Budgets" with the following command:

C:\>net share Spreadsheets=C:\spreadsheets /unlimited /remark:"Budgets"
Spreadsheets was shared successfully.

Setting a sharename "equal" to a folder creates a share. To modify an existing share, you use only the sharename (and no folder), as in the following command, which changes the remark on the Spreadsheets share to "Year 2002 Budgets":

C:\>net share Spreadsheets /remark:"Year 2002 Budgets"

Several parameters can be used with the Net Share command, as shown in Table 31-4.

Table 31-4. Useful Parameters for the Net Share Command
Code:
Parameter  Description  
/Users:number  Sets the maximum number of concurrent users  
/Unlimited  Lets the maximum number of users connect to the share at one time  
/Remark:"text "  Adds or changes a comment that appears in Details view in Windows Explorer  
/Cache:manual,  Sets the document and program caching option for offline files; for details, see "Setting Caching Options on the Server." 
/Cache:documents,   
/Cache:programs, or /Cache:no

Deleting a User Share
To remove a share, simply use the /Delete switch with the Net Share sharename command:

C:\>net share spreadsheets /delete
spreadsheets was deleted successfully.

Net Use
The Net Use command connects your computer to shared resources on other computers. It can also disconnect, or display, all the resources to which you are connected.

Viewing Connections
Type net use with no parameters to display the resources to which you are currently connected.

C:\>net use
New connections will be remembered.

Status Local Remote Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK G: \\everglades\programs Microsoft Windows Network
OK K: \\everglades\document Microsoft Windows Network
OK P: \\everglades\company Microsoft Windows Network
OK LPT2 \\badlands\lj4000 Microsoft Windows Network
\\www.msnusers.com\xxxxx@msn.com
Web Client Network

Adding a Mapped Network Drive
You can create drive mappings with a command like this:

C:\>net use e: \\badlands\spreadsheets

This maps the network share Spreadsheets on the computer named Badlands to the local drive letter E. If you want to use the next available drive letter, use an asterisk (*) instead of the drive letter and colon. You can add any of the parameters shown in Table 31-5.

Table 31-5. Useful Parameters for the Net Use Command
Parameter Description
password Enter your password following the share name if a password is required.
/User:domain \username To connect using a user name that is different from the one you are currently logged on with, you can use the /User parameter. The domain name is necessary only if you are not in the same domain as the resource you’re connecting to. You can also enter the domain and user name in the format of an e-mail address (for example, user @domain).
/Delete Disconnects the connection. You need only specify the drive letter and /Delete to disconnect.
/Persistent:yes or /Persistent:no The yes option causes connections to persist so that they are reconnected the next time you log on.

Disconnecting a Mapped Drive
To disconnect a mapped drive, simply use the /Delete switch with the Net Use command:

C:\>net use e: /delete
e: was deleted successfully.

Net Session
The Net Session command lets you view or disconnect connections between your computer and clients that are accessing it.

Viewing Session Information
Type net session with no parameters to display the current connections to your computer:

C:\>net session

Computer User name Client Type Opens Idle time

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\127.0.0.1 Windows 2002 2526 1 01:20:24

\\GLACIER CARL Windows NT 1381 0 00:00:07

Disconnecting a Session
Following Net Session \\computername, append /Delete to disconnect a session. If you don’t include \\computername, all active sessions are disconnected.

Net File
The Net File command lets you view or close the open shared files on your computer. Typing net file with nothing following it causes the program to list all the open files, including a file ID, the user name of the person who has the file open, and the number of locks each has.

C:\>net file
ID Path User name # Locks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
24 E:\Catalog JAN 0
32 C:\spreadsheets\Q1 Budget.xls CARL 3

You can close a file by following Net File with the ID of the file and /Close:

C:\>net file 24 /close

Net Statistics
The Net Statistics command displays the statistics log for the local Workstation or Server service. Type net statistics workstation to view the Workstation statistics. Type net statistics server to view the Server statistics.

The workstation statistics log looks like this:

Code:
C:\>net statistics workstation
Workstation Statistics for \\SEQUOIA

Statistics since 11/17/2001 4:06 PM

Bytes received                               232765115
  Server Message Blocks (SMBs) received        394263
  Bytes transmitted                            65653800
  Server Message Blocks (SMBs) transmitted     393773
  Read operations                              187879
  Write operations                             1258
  Raw reads denied                             0
  Raw writes denied                            0

Network errors                               0
  Connections made                             20
  Reconnections made                           24
  Server disconnects                           7

Sessions started                             102
  Hung sessions                                0
  Failed sessions                              0
  Failed operations                            0
  Use count                                    126
  Failed use count                             2

====

I'm sorry it's a little distorted because it's just cut&past; hope it provides some answers.

Script and XP!

How can i get WInXp to take scripts from a NT-server 4.0 in the mapp Winnt\system32\Repl\import\scripts\xxxxxx automaticly like the same as I did with win95/win98.
Is Kixstart the solution. A school, for example, has a lot of different user and are depend on personal login wich we have made with no problem with win95/win98.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back