XP aborts/disconnects my internet connection

A

alexibm

Hey everyone I have serious problme (at least for me).
XP disconnects my internet connection and reconnects back !
For example: I download something from FTP, after couple of hours FTP Client tell me that it was not able to complite download because the software on my machine aborted download !

I have Cable Connection from "Comcast @Home".
I reinstalled XP, thought it will fix it...ha..no way.

My network card is:
SMC EZ Card PCI 10 Adapter (SMC1208)

I looked at the drives section (www.smc.com) ..but it appeared that there is no drivers for my card that would work on XP ! though there is drvier for higher model. So I am using gineric XP driver.

Before posting here...I made numerouse searches on MS self-support sites and couple other sites....and I found that KAZAA might cause the problem. Is it true....should I uninstall it ?

Thanks for answers !:p :D

Cable usually resets by itself 1-2 times a day, sometimes it might be caused by some network congestion, sometimes providers do this to kill uncapping, etc.

I think your problem is with the physical connection, like the one i mentioned above, and not related to XP or its drivers.
Also, sometimes ftp servers can cause this. Is it only for FTP, or do you observe this kind of behavior elsewhere?

Don't think Kazaa has anything to do with it either. It has spyware, so it's supposed to keep you r connection alive as long as it can :D.

Just set your ftp client to autoreconnect and resume, and you will be fine.

Cheers

No way it physical connection

It is starage.........I just intalled XP, made all necessary updates.

It cant be physical connection. Everything worked fine on win 98.
and it cant be that my ISP would reset my connection every 20-30min

Is it a direct cable connection, or do you have a router?

If you have a chance to change cable modem or the NIC, do so. I remember having this problem for a while when my ISP changed from @home to mediacom. Replaced 4 modems.

Also, again, is it just ftp sites? Or anything else. Also, look at the modem when you get disconnected. Does it work the same way?

Also, what does ftp log say? Any specific messages?

RE:

Yes , ftp gives me the message. It tells me that download was not complited because software on my machine aborted the download :(

Can you copy/paste the exact message from the client, like with errors, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back