XFX 7950 GT driver update

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I have been reading that the drivers found on the XFX site are better tweaked to run with my new video card than the nvidia forceware release.

What would be the best way to upgrade my drivers?

Do I need to clean out the old one, or is there an "upgrade" type install.

I am so happy with my new XFX GeForce7950GT AGP, it makes mince meat out of my old ATI X880XL AGP, what a difference.

Thanks,

Heeter

Last edited:
The drivers on XFX's website will be no better than the ones you would get from Nvidia's website. In fact, they are exactly the same except for the fact that XFX probably does not keep the files they have up to date. :) So you would be better off getting them from Nvidia's website directly. Normally I would say just install over the top of your old set, but since they could be very old... it would probably be best to uninstall the current set via add remove programs, reboot into safe mode and run DriverSweeper; available here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1655

Once you run that in Safemode (choosing Nvidia Video Drivers), reboot back into normal windows and install the new set you got from Nvidia's website. Reboot once more, and voila!

This is the long drawn out method, but it ensures a clean fresh install of the drivers to minimize possible issues. In the future, when making "small" driver updates (minor revisions) its usually okay to just install over the old set, or just uninstall and reboot then install the new set without running driver cleaner (one less reboot). Either way you go about it, you should be set.

Hey Thanks, Aprox.

Is there aftermarket driver writers? I remember a long time ago, I used to use some Omega Drivers for my ATI cards, I wonder if there is some performance driver tweaker for NVidia's GPU.

Thanks,

Heeter

Well, there are some modded driver releases, but nothing from scratch or anything like that. Omega used to tweak Nvidia drivers, but he stopped some time ago, but there are others. Personally, I have never cared much for them because they usually just sacrifice Image Quality for a very small performance gain. Actually, now that I think about it... I have not seen a new release of a modded driver in a long time. Try looking at Guru3d.com.

I would recommend you just grab the latest Nvidia Beta drivers, 169.09 that just came out today.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.09.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back